Hgv tests relaxed by government

When I think of HGV drivers I always get this image of a bloke who would end up in jail for murdering a prostitute somewhere like Swindon or Ipswich.
Random places chosen but surely Ipswich would be more likely given its proximity to the a14 and costal ports

They are NOT removing the reversing aspect of the test. When doing a HGV test the first thing you do is the reverse in the centre before you go out on the road. If you don't pass that you don't go any further. If you then go on to fail out on the road you wont have to do the reversing part on any further tests. Thus saving time, enabling them to do more tests per day.
How dare you introduce a dose of reality into the thread as posters are in full outraged mode. It's a facet of modern life that people read a headline or a snippet of information and then proceed to go off on one.

The fact is there is a shortage of truck drivers all over Europe and it is crucial that we do something about this. I work for a German company and my boss told me recently that in the past if a truck turned up to collect goods and our logistics department deemed it unroadworthy then it was turned away. Now they are delighted to see any old wreck that turns up and none are turned away.

Regardless of the details of the new test, the issue is that the Government are having to rush through another bad policy.

We were told that we were ‘taking back control’. Ok, why not plan for the obvious reduction in foreign HGV drivers? FFS, they’ve had years but no, the lazy government would rather ‘wait and see’.

Regardless of the details of the new test, the issue is that the Government are having to rush through another bad policy.

We were told that we were ‘taking back control’. Ok, why not plan for the obvious reduction in foreign HGV drivers? FFS, they’ve had years but no, the lazy government would rather ‘wait and see’.
Politics sub forum is ^

There is a shortage of drivers all over Europe. There is also a global supply chain crisis.

By taking back control do you mean them paying tax then it was obvious a lot wouldn't fancy it.I agreed though the test system should have been sped up in anticipation of a world wide pandemic.

I doubt the relaxed test will change much with regard the shortage of drivers.

It's an industry that been in a race to the bottom for decades. It's only now, the 1st time in my career as a Hgv driver where I feel I can get a decent wage for the hours I do. That's likely to be a temporary feeling though.

Nobody young will want to become a hgv driver. It's long hours, it's anti social hours and in general quite low paid.

Most good firms want experienced drivers so most new to the industry will have to do a stint on general haulage in order to get their experience and I can't imagine many fancying 12-15 hour shifts, driving a fully loaded trucks into towns and cities you've never been to before whilst having a planner ringing you asking what time your gonna be tipped at because they've got a backload for you to collect when done.

There are decent jobs about but they're hard to come by and even the decent ones bring with them the anti social side of things. The industry will likely be crying for the foreign drivers that have gone home to come back in the near future.

I doubt the relaxed test will change much with regard the shortage of drivers.

It's an industry that been in a race to the bottom for decades. It's only now, the 1st time in my career as a Hgv driver where I feel I can get a decent wage for the hours I do. That's likely to be a temporary feeling though.

Nobody young will want to become a hgv driver. It's long hours, it's anti social hours and in general quite low paid.

Most good firms want experienced drivers so most new to the industry will have to do a stint on general haulage in order to get their experience and I can't imagine many fancying 12-15 hour shifts, driving a fully loaded trucks into towns and cities you've never been to before whilst having a planner ringing you asking what time your gonna be tipped at because they've got a backload for you to collect when done.

There are decent jobs about but they're hard to come by and even the decent ones bring with them the anti social side of things. The industry will likely be crying for the foreign drivers that have gone home to come back in the near future.
It's great that you are now getting a decent wage but can you still get me that 50" tele you promised me before lockdown?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.