History club

U

United won their first major honor in 1908 with the league title 4 years after our FA Cup victory, so I guess we can all use 1908 as the official beginning of football for any historical references.
And five or six of their players were ones they’d picked up from us after they’d been banned from playing for Manchester City following the illegal payments scandal four years earlier.

I hate the whole history/big club thing. Every club has history and every supporter has moments that they treasure. I would be nice if there could be more mutual respect between supporters. It takes far more character to support a team like Sunderland, Bury etc. than Liverpool and United - I certainly know which type of fan I would rather go for a pint with.
Long term City fans are in a privileged position of knowing both the lows and highs that football can offer and that is something as a fanbase that should be cherished.
If we beat Chelsea at the end of May and win the ultimate prize then I will be ecstatic but it will not exceed the joy that I felt at Wembley when we overcame Gillingham. That is our history and I am just as proud of it as any dipper is about their six European trophies.
It is hard to imagine a City match ever having the significance of that Gillingham match in 1999.
Much more glamorous, prestigious, of infinitely better quality without doubt, but certainly nowhere near as important. Had we not won that day it could have had a huge impact on our recent history (which ofcourse began 9 years after that match)
The actual pure emotion and ecstacy of that Dickov goal and that penalty shootout are on a par with anything since.
The sizeable contingent of United/Liverpool armchair fans might not understand this but If Brentford get promoted to the Premier lge for the first time or Morecambe to league 1 via the playoffs these achievements will be just as valid as any trophies the above 'history clubs' have won.

I always ask them what period of history are they referring to? Usually it's Liverpool fans, actually very rarely from rags.

I like to point out that we won the FA Cup 3 times before they did and the League Cup twice.

Oh European football history! Well United, West Ham, City, Chelsea and Spurs (who won two) all won European trophies before Liverpool.

Or are they just referring to a specific time in history say a period between the 70's and 80's when they were the dominant team in England after being bankrolled, similar to United in the 90's to 00's and now us.

History can be good or bad. The Nazi's are part of history. So is continbuting to the deaths of other fans, bricking team buses, hacking other clubs systems, selling condemed meat to schoolkids, staff cheating on family and other staff, unfairly influencing football authorities.... and thats only two clubs. Should call them the hypocrisy clubs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.