Covid and travel discussion

I have to fly to Portugal for family reasons next weekend, and having trouble getting clarity on the PCR test requirements.

I will either be going Fri-Sun, or Sat-Sun.

Can I get a PCR test done on Thursday, which will give me a result prior to departure, and also use this test for departure back to the UK on the Sunday?

I know there is a 72 hour/3 day rule, so the test on Thursday would still be valid on Sunday, but do I need to have a test done in the country of departure for return back to the UK?

So, will a PCR test done on Thursday cover both flights with a booking for a test on return to the UK within 2 days or do I also need to have a test whilst in Portugal? This would be difficult if I only go Sat-Sun.

I’d love those that advocate a ‘SHUT THE BORDERS!’ approach to tell us what their exit plan is?

There will ALWAYS be coronavirus and there will NEVER stop being variants that ‘could’ evade vaccines and ‘may’ be more transmissible. Different parts of the world will forever be at different stages of immunity or infection and so please can someone lay out the exit plan because I cannot for the life of me see one. The flu vaccine is literally created by guessing which variants will around each winter because they change so much.

For all the talk of conspiracies and great resets etc, it’s getting to the point where they start becoming believable because the reality is even more ridiculous than the conspiracies.

I’d love those that advocate a ‘SHUT THE BORDERS!’ approach to tell us what their exit plan is?

There will ALWAYS be coronavirus and there will NEVER stop being variants that ‘could’ evade vaccines and ‘may’ be more transmissible. Different parts of the world will forever be at different stages of immunity or infection and so please can someone lay out the exit plan because I cannot for the life of me see one. The flu vaccine is literally created by guessing which variants will around each winter because they change so much.

For all the talk of conspiracies and great resets etc, it’s getting to the point where they start becoming believable because the reality is even more ridiculous than the conspiracies.
I'm generally with you on that.

What I would say is that borders probably should not have been opened until everybody has been offered their first jab. But once this passes - June, July, whenever, then we should stop this charade of pretending that shutting the borders will keep COVID out. The WHO said early in the pandemic that it makes little difference.

Yep

Also I believe the rumour mill in government this afternoon was that Portugal was going to be removed and be spun as “our best chance to make Jun 21 ‘freedom day’ is to prevent importation of virus” but in reality it’s a combination of Border Force not being able to screen everyone quickly enough, the government wanting people to spend money in the U.K., the way they are getting crucified over this Indian Variant, and not wanting to give any more ground to Labour on borders. They’re also genuinely shocked at how many people planned / booked travel when the ban was lifted - apparently it was way over their estimation (how clueless must they be). This is just governmental gossip but it gives a sense of the mood if nothing else.

Destroying entire industries and people’s mental health to cover for their rank incompetence. Beyond reprehensible.

Last edited:
I have to fly to Portugal for family reasons next weekend, and having trouble getting clarity on the PCR test requirements.

I will either be going Fri-Sun, or Sat-Sun.

Can I get a PCR test done on Thursday, which will give me a result prior to departure, and also use this test for departure back to the UK on the Sunday?

I know there is a 72 hour/3 day rule, so the test on Thursday would still be valid on Sunday, but do I need to have a test done in the country of departure for return back to the UK?

So, will a PCR test done on Thursday cover both flights with a booking for a test on return to the UK within 2 days or do I also need to have a test whilst in Portugal? This would be difficult if I only go Sat-Sun.
A PCR done on thursday would be ok to get you home on sunday. You would then need to do another PCR on or before day 2

A PCR done on thursday would be ok to get you home on sunday. You would then need to do another PCR on or before day 2
Is that still correct? Not saying your wrong but that was the criteria for green travel. Now it's Amber does that not mean extra tests as well as isolating or to end isolation early?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.