Covid and travel discussion

All those planning US trips
Don’t forget currently Asta Zeneca jabs are not recognised in the States.

Incorrect - and oft repeated myth. AZ is already accepted for entry to the US and has been for ages.

The US currently allows international travellers to arrive and not be subject to quarantine as long as they have been fully vaccinated with a WHO approved vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... tions.html
After travel information for people fully vaccinated with an FDA-authorized vaccine or a vaccine authorized for emergency use by the World Health Organization:

Get tested with a viral test 3-5 days after travel.
If your test is positive, isolate yourself to protect others from getting infected.
* This guidance applies to COVID-19 vaccines currently authorized for emergency use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson (J&J)/Janssen COVID-19 vaccines. This guidance can also be applied to COVID-19 vaccines that have been listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization (e.g. AstraZeneca/Oxford). See WHO’s website external iconfor more information about WHO-authorized COVID-19 vaccines.

When you went to Portugal, did you need anything other than your vaccination certificate and the Passenger Locator Form ? I'm going on 7th October and can't work out if the NHS certificate counts as the EU one they say you need.
Take it, the EU one negates the need for a test certificate, for EU people that is ;) and you will need it to get back into the UK.

Last edited:
When you went to Portugal, did you need anything other than your vaccination certificate and the Passenger Locator Form ? I'm going on 7th October and can't work out if the NHS certificate counts as the EU one they say you need.
They are meeting on the 30th and widely expected (but no guarantee) vaccinated travelers will be allowed in from third countries without a test. As of today, you would need either a PCR 72 hours before your flight or Anti gen within 48hours. Hopefully this changes as expected.

are weekend breaks viable at the moment? i.e. going away into Europe for 2 nights? does that even work with test requirements? thinking Portugal late October

are weekend breaks viable at the moment? i.e. going away into Europe for 2 nights? does that even work with test requirements? thinking Portugal late October

It's not too bad if you go somewhere that doesn't require a test for entry.
At the moment Portugal do (regardless of vax status) but that could change.

As a minimum there will be a form to complete before you go, a form to complete before you come home and a Covid test to take after you arrive home....currently this test has to be a PCR but from 'end of October' it changes to an Antigen test. Probably factor about 30 quid a head for said tests once it changes to Antigen.

Whether you think that might be a bit too much faff for just a couple of nights away I'm not sure....if you can stretch to 3 nights it makes it more worthwhile.

It's not too bad if you go somewhere that doesn't require a test for entry.
At the moment Portugal do (regardless of vax status) but that could change.

As a minimum there will be a form to complete before you go, a form to complete before you come home and a Covid test to take after you arrive home....currently this test has to be a PCR but from 'end of October' it changes to an Antigen test. Probably factor about 30 quid a head for said tests once it changes to Antigen.

Whether you think that might be a bit too much faff for just a couple of nights away I'm not sure....if you can stretch to 3 nights it makes it more worthwhile.

Thanks. It's a right fucking faff going away at the moment isn't it!

Thanks. It's a right fucking faff going away at the moment isn't it!

You can say that again!

Even as someone who lives for travel, I'm not sure 2 night breaks on the continent are really worth it right now.
If you get an amazing deal then fair enough, but all the hoops to jump through are really off putting for the vast majority of travellers.

Maybe have a look at Republic of Ireland or Jersey? Part of the common travel area so you won't need to do the post travel Covid test, though there will still be a form to complete before travel I think.

You can say that again!

Even as someone who lives for travel, I'm not sure 2 night breaks on the continent are really worth it right now.
If you get an amazing deal then fair enough, but all the hoops to jump through are really off putting for the vast majority of travellers.

Maybe have a look at Republic of Ireland or Jersey? Part of the common travel area so you won't need to do the post travel Covid test, though there will still be a form to complete before travel I think.

Yes just weighing up the travel Vs the hoops. I guess coming back will be reduced to day 2 test and a form (assuming Portugal is none red list after October 4th), but it remains to be seem what Portugal enforce. Ah well, we shall see.

You can say that again!

Just returned from 3 nights at Disneyland Paris. Great holiday, tests were an issue though.

Used Loxamed - which is the company employed by Disney to do all on-site testing. Got 3 out of 4 results back in 7 hours which was impressive. What was less impressive was that 1 of the results had my wife's maiden name (note to others: don't bother putting your birth name on any form as this is just another opportunity for somebody to screw something up!) and mine didn't arrive at all.

We went back in the next morning and fortunately they were very helpful in sorting it out - but even they had to call the lab about three times! The test certificates my wife and I got did NOT have a QR code, and I did worry about this, but EasyJet were fine with them (after all they did have full names, test times, result, lab-headed paper etc.)

Still, it will be a lot easier when the test to return home is scrapped in October.

Just returned from 3 nights at Disneyland Paris. Great holiday, tests were an issue though.

Used Loxamed - which is the company employed by Disney to do all on-site testing. Got 3 out of 4 results back in 7 hours which was impressive. What was less impressive was that 1 of the results had my wife's maiden name (note to others: don't bother putting your birth name on any form as this is just another opportunity for somebody to screw something up!) and mine didn't arrive at all.

We went back in the next morning and fortunately they were very helpful in sorting it out - but even they had to call the lab about three times! The test certificates my wife and I got did NOT have a QR code, and I did worry about this, but EasyJet were fine with them (after all they did have full names, test times, result, lab-headed paper etc.)

Still, it will be a lot easier when the test to return home is scrapped in October.

Remember the days when you could just jump on a plane and go somewhere?

I miss those days :(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.