Home stereo/theatre systems.

Love the Cyrus 1, absolute beast in a little grey shoebox. Don't think the Cd player matters as iirc until you start spending silly money they all used the same Philips transport anyway.

Yeah. No matter what CD player you have it’ll sound the same. It’s a German make, Aria. It’s not bad. Looks nice.

I have the more recent Cyrus One though.

I got fed up with all the crap surrounding HiFi, so I made my own Pre/Power amp, and modified a budget CD player (NAD-C520). I also made my own I/C,s and power cables. I have also made a headphone amp and some full-range (single driver) speakers.

My amps have basic functionality (on/off, volume, source), and are sonically neutral with the absolute minimal signal path with ultra clean power supplies. The power amp (based around a pair of LM3875 IC's) isn't hugely powerful (56W continuous into 8Ohm's), but it's clean. In terms of sound quality, I'd challenge anyone to pick them out in a double blind test of high-end neutral sounding systems.

Anyone with some soundbar knowledge? Samsung HW-Q90R has caught my eye

I dont but by the time you have spent huge amounts on soundbars pretending to do what a full 5.1 or 7.1 system will do and even Atmos these days, you can actually invest in and have a real quality traditional system.

Convenience and a lack of space aside i dont see the point in these things and cant help but feel they are gimmicky at best.

I've been looking at this as well, it gets rave reviews and from what I can gather it's the best on the market. It actually uses a separate bass unit and surround speakers so you are getting real 5.1 and using up firing speakers you get 7.1 and atmos. The only down side is the price. If your prepared to pay it though I'd Defo go for it. I'm hoping to get one at the end of the year.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/samsung-hw-q90r-soundbar

We have two rooms wired for AV so they are cable free. Really worth doing imo and not that expensive if you have someone that knows what they are doing. In the sitting room I have a denon av amp that is connected to a sky box, Blu-ray and sonos connect. It feeds three monitor audio speakers in a long hi fi cabinet that sits under the tv. They pick up front left, front right and centre channels. Have two other MA speakers mounted on the wall picking up rear channels. The cabinet also houses a REL subwoofer.

In lounge I have separate AV and hifi systems. The AV has a Denon amp at its heart, Sky q box and Blu-ray connected. I have a MA soundbar which picks up the front three channels and 2 wall mounted MA speaker picking up rear channels. MA subwoofer as well. Both systems are good but the one in the lounge has the more expensive amp and speakers and can crack floorboards if it’s cranked up on a good Blu-ray disk. All the internet enabled kit is hard wired into the internet router through Ethernet connections. My experience is that I wouldn’t go past denon amps. Good sound, very reliable and choose how much you want to spend as they have 4 or 5 models. Whoever you get your sub woofer from, make sure after sales is top notch as this is the component that I have had most problems with, particularly the internal amp going. Give different speaker systems a listen before buying. Sound bars are great for neatness. But I prefer the separate speakers for sound stage.

The hi fi system has a Linn streamer/amp, mission CD player and two monitor audio gold floorstanders. There is a sonos connect hooked up to it as well so we can take advantage of multi room. I am looking seriously at getting back into vinyl. I hardly ever play cds nowadays, sound quality of Tidal is as good if not better. If my house went on fire, the hifi system is what I would rescue first :-)
Blimey. Hope you never need to sell your home. You will need to have a book, not a brochure, just to explain your hi fi system.

Blimey. Hope you never need to sell your home. You will need to have a book, not a brochure, just to explain your hi fi system.
Mrs S agrees with you wholeheartedly. She yearns for the days you just switched the telly on.

It’s all brilliant when it works as it does 99% of the time. It’s the 1% that turns you into an investigative engineer to try and find what the fuck has gone wrong. Usually the old unplug and switch it on again works. The component that is least reliable are the Sky Q boxes but they are easy to reboot.

Pulled the trigger today, B&O Beosound (Smoked oak & grey). Had a listening demo at the store this morning, very impressive

We have two ears, so speaker left, speaker right, add some sub if you want it, that's all it should be. Having said that I did buy a Q Acoustics Media 4 soundbar, very happy with that.

edit, just seen you've splashed out on B&O gear, hope it sounds good!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.