Home Video of life as a City Fan? Request for footage...

LukeJerr

Team supported
City
Hi all,

I'm a Video Producer at Manchester City at the moment, working for CityTV - we work on loads of things, but some of the longer things I've made (along with the whole team!) are the 99 Playoff Documentary (),

the City Restart films ()

and the recent 1904 FA Cup piece ().

We're developing a few new ideas I'm not allowed to be too specific about at the moment, but I wanted to start an initial thread on here to just begin to see...do any of you have any video of your time supporting City, which might not be on YouTube, sitting at home on an old VHS or DV Tape?

Not talking about old professionally made VHS's or Season Reviews etc - but if you took a camera on an away day, to a supporters club meeting, at a ground? The travelling, filming a new stadium, life at the back of a stand... - There are no wrong answers, but I'm just curious to know what you might have?

Don't need to 'see' it at the moment - almost better if it doesn't exist on YouTube or is easily accessible! But happy to just learn a bit more here, and I/we can help make digital copies of anything if we ended up using it, etc.

This isn't a hint of anything to come - but in my head, sort of holy grail items, or the reason why I'm asking would be if we found any personal video of...

- The 99 Playoff Final
- Blackburn Away the following season
- York Away
- Anything to do with Kinkladze - meeting him, supporters club meetings, going and visiting him after he left City - I know City fans went to go see him at Ajax?
- Maine Road
- Travelling to Away Days etc.

Photo's I'd also be interested to see as well! But just can start a dialogue here, and work out what the next steps are later! Genuinely - anything is valid, just intrigued to see what might come up! Also worth noting - this is me just doing this off my own back - nothing club has asked me to do, but would be criminal as a producer of films about City if I didn't try all routes to find interesting footage!

Cheers,

Luke

Don’t know whether this would be of interest but I have on a family CD brief footage, Approx 4 minutes, of my 2 kids trip to the Norwich home game in 26th August 1992, won 3.1.
Footage includes crowds on Maine Road before the game, including the main entrance.
You can also my kids sat in the Maine Stand with good shots of the pitch, some shots of the play, the Gene Kelly and the old crowded Kippax.
The Platt Lane Stand had been demolished and there are shots to the concrete frame and iron girders of the new stand.
The final shots are scenes at the final whistle with the players leaving the pitch and the crowd singing “We love you City”.
Let me know if it’s of interest.

Last edited:
Hi Luke, i had some cine film transferred to DVD of a day at Maine Road about 1977 against Derby County. There's scenes from outside and inside the ground including some sort of skills game pre match....shooting through hoops etc.
You're more than welcome to view it if you're interested.

Don’t know whether this would be of interest but I have on a family CD brief footage, Approx 4 minutes, of my 2 kids trip to the Norwich home game in 26th August 1992, won 3.1.
Footage includes crowds on Maine Road before the game, including the main entrance.
You can also my kids sat in the Maine Stand with good shots of the pitch, some shots of the play, the Gene Kelly and the old crowded Kippax.
The Platt Lane Stand had been demolished and there are shots to the concrete frame and iron girders of the new stand.
The final shots are scenes at the final whistle with the players leaving the pitch and the crowd singing “We love you City”.
Let me know if it’s of interest.

That would be great. I don't know where it would be used specifically at this point - but maybe if I started to try and curate a bit of an archive of this stuff, and then just having it all in mind for pieces coming up? Do you have a copy of it, or just one version?
Hi Luke, i had some cine film transferred to DVD of a day at Maine Road about 1977 against Derby County. There's scenes from outside and inside the ground including some sort of skills game pre match....shooting through hoops etc.
You're more than welcome to view it if you're interested.
This would also be brilliant! Do you know what the film was originally shot for?

The Blue Print fanzine started off doing a video diary of one season (i guess 89/90) and one game via Liverpool the team went into Platt Lane to talk about what it was like being an away fan at Maine Road with Liverpool fans

They filmed a classic conversation where this one Scouser comes up and says he hates the stereotype that all Scousers are on the dole. Next lad they interview comes straight out and says "£5 to get in? (or however much it was) £5! We fans struggle to pay that, we're all on the dole..."

Will check and see if the tapes are knocking around. The project didnt last much longer and nothing came of it although I think @Gary James may have used some of it during one of his City in film events.

I’ve got a video from the last match before the Kippax closed also had it transferred to disc.

The Blue Print fanzine started off doing a video diary of one season (i guess 89/90) and one game via Liverpool the team went into Platt Lane to talk about what it was like being an away fan at Maine Road with Liverpool fans

They filmed a classic conversation where this one Scouser comes up and says he hates the stereotype that all Scousers are on the dole. Next lad they interview comes straight out and says "£5 to get in? (or however much it was) £5! We fans struggle to pay that, we're all on the dole..."

Will check and see if the tapes are knocking around. The project didnt last much longer and nothing came of it although I think @Gary James may have used some of it during one of his City in film events.
Mike Kelly donated the Kippax Last Stand to the North West Film Archive and we showed some of that at one of our Boys In Blue evenings, but we didn’t know there was anything else. Certainly none of the stuff you mention was passed on to the Archive but this would be great to see. The NWFA are passionate about saving stuff and would preserve it forever. I hope you can find it. Cheers

Mike Kelly donated the Kippax Last Stand to the North West Film Archive and we showed some of that at one of our Boys In Blue evenings, but we didn’t know there was anything else. Certainly none of the stuff you mention was passed on to the Archive but this would be great to see. The NWFA are passionate about saving stuff and would preserve it forever. I hope you can find it. Cheers
Thanks Gary.
Spoke with Mike today and he has contacted Luke. He had it kept nice and safe on VHS and also transferred onto a DVD.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.