Homemade hamburgers

yeseye said:
Barcon said:
Cheers everyone. Just got off the phone with the sister in law and she agrees about the breadcrumbs (she maes great burgs).
She doesn't use eggs either though. I think I will throw in a pair of eggs myself.
Thanks all.
Sister in law you say? Any pics?

Huge cans.

Barcon said:
yeseye said:
Barcon said:
Cheers everyone. Just got off the phone with the sister in law and she agrees about the breadcrumbs (she maes great burgs).
She doesn't use eggs either though. I think I will throw in a pair of eggs myself.
Thanks all.
Sister in law you say? Any pics?

Huge cans.

I told you, eggs and breadcrumbs make meatloaf.

paphos-mcfc said:
Didsbury Dave said:
paphos-mcfc said:
At least 20% fat in any burgers. Kobe burgers??? Absolute bollocks. Yanks have it on their menus and it isn't even proper Kobe. Nearly 200 quid a kilo for fillet (top graded) and just as much for sirloin, rump etc. They sell it as Wagyu Kobe ( 2 different breeds) and it's no where near the real McCoy. Meat of this quality shouldn't be used in burgers IMO.

My sister had a BBQ the other week and had some ridiculously expensive burgers. Her husband reckoned the butcher made them by mincing fillet etc. I watched her husband Cook them and it was heartbreaking as a foodie. He turned the BBQ (well outdoor gas cooker) down and didn't salt or brush oil on them. They came out grey, dry and tasteless.

He should have banged the heat on full, oiled and salted them up to fuck and served them pink in the middle. As it was they'd wasted £50 on about 12 dry burgers.

As an aside he then did the sausages on full heat so they were charcoal black all over. A further tragedy, although not as bad as the time he cooked scallops for about 20 minutes.[/quote]

Oh dear, If I sear scallops more than 40 seconds each side, they go in the bin. People still have a natural fear of under cooked food. I serve pork loin and fillet slightly pink and it's amazing.

What's the best way to do the scallops. Mrs Canadian bacon just picked up some small ones. I usually wrap them in bacon and bake them with brown sugar but these ones are a bit small to be messing aboot with. I was going to try searing them and doing some kind of white wine sauce.

So no egg or binders, not too lean mince, add herbs etc.....
Looking to do the method where you dunk the burger in a mixture ie soy sauce, sweet chili etc then bang it on the BBQ..

Crouchinho said:
I never really use breadcrumbs and sometimes I don't even bother with an egg. I just flavour them how I want, sometimes 3-4 cloves of garlic and a really diced onion with some sea salt. I've even added cumin & chilli pepper before for a twist. It's decent to cook your own you know what you're putting in it

this is what I have found. put the meat in the fridge over night for maximum flavour.

warpig said:
Crouchinho said:
I never really use breadcrumbs and sometimes I don't even bother with an egg. I just flavour them how I want, sometimes 3-4 cloves of garlic and a really diced onion with some sea salt. I've even added cumin & chilli pepper before for a twist. It's decent to cook your own you know what you're putting in it

this is what I have found. put the meat in the fridge over night for maximum flavour.

Good advice, I marinade everything over night or at least 24 hours the flavour is more intense! Most meats I leave out for an hour or two beforehand if I'm grilling, otherwise it's shocked to a leather boot.

I've made mistakes of buying extra lean mince for burgers and they've been dry. I just get non-lean stuff as it's juicier but less healthy, but burgers at the end of the day are just a treat so it's not an everyday thing

I'm tempted to put blue cheese/aged cheddar with jalapeno folded inside the burger next time, it's always good to experiment!

No need for egg or breadcrumbs.
I add some paprika, and a little garlic and tiny bit of heat (mustard/chilli) and worcester sauce.
Salt and pep, salt will do the binding hence no need for eggs.

Seering hot grill to get the char marks both sides, wrap in foil with bbq bacon to help get some moisture back in for 10min.
Do not use lean steak mince, to dry.

A toasted bun is very underestimated also imo Barcon.

I would just like to point out that even thought the barby went well, I decided to wipe down the grill with some paper towel soaked in vegetable oil before putting my kill on. The paper towel slipped out from under my hand and I wiped the 575 degree grill down with my four right fingers. Thankfully I was well lubricated and therefore felt nothing. Framing the walls in a 44 x 22' basement this morning was another story :( My hand is currently being cooled by a cold Moosehead lager.

Barcon said:
paphos-mcfc said:

My sister had a BBQ the other week and had some ridiculously expensive burgers. Her husband reckoned the butcher made them by mincing fillet etc. I watched her husband Cook them and it was heartbreaking as a foodie. He turned the BBQ (well outdoor gas cooker) down and didn't salt or brush oil on them. They came out grey, dry and tasteless.

He should have banged the heat on full, oiled and salted them up to fuck and served them pink in the middle. As it was they'd wasted £50 on about 12 dry burgers.

As an aside he then did the sausages on full heat so they were charcoal black all over. A further tragedy, although not as bad as the time he cooked scallops for about 20 minutes.[/quote]

Oh dear, If I sear scallops more than 40 seconds each side, they go in the bin. People still have a natural fear of under cooked food. I serve pork loin and fillet slightly pink and it's amazing.

What's the best way to do the scallops. Mrs Canadian bacon just picked up some small ones. I usually wrap them in bacon and bake them with brown sugar but these ones are a bit small to be messing aboot with. I was going to try searing them and doing some kind of white wine sauce.

best thing to do with scallops is to gently fry off some thin slices of chorizo then very quickly fry the scallops in the fat released from the chorizo. remove the scallops and chorizo then squeeze some lemon juice into the juice in the pan and reduce to a thick sauce. serve over rocket or spinach as a starter.

or, shallow fry in olive oil with finely chopped chilli and garlic and run through linguine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.