Homesick

oman0115

Any bluemooners live abroad? I moved to Amsterdam to start a new job 6 weeks ago. Love the job, loving the lifestyle, but.... I really miss mates and family. Trying to resist temptation of going back to England want to settle in and not get in that habit! How long did it take you guys for that yearning for the uk to go, or does it?

I'd give it more than 6 weeks mate.

My mum and dad moved to NZ in 1965. My mum hated it and never settled, but to her credit she stuck it out for 7 years. She missed Oldham too much. Go figure?

Honestly bud i used to fly back here every weekend when i lived in the dam. That said it was when easyjet tickets were stupidly cheap, tax cost more than the ticket. I can't say i ever got homesick bud, i was to busy looking forward and enjoying it to even remember home.

Is there not a regular flyer discount with any airline or similar?

the thought of coming back to live in the UK we find somewhat unthinkable. if you miss home so much I guess you are not cut out to live abroad

No, but you’re off to a good start if you love the job and lifestyle. Stick with it for several months at least, then take stock again.

If you act rashly, you might regret it later,

In answer to your question, about 5 minutes.

I'm 20 years and counting (living in Ireland).

Beautiful country,
Wonderful people.
Safe.
Clean.
No real worries of me or my family being robbed, raped or murdered.
Great standard of living
Great heath system (yes it is)
Great culture and one which fits well with my own.
No 3 lane carparks (least not where i am outside of the pale)

Love it. Wouldn't go back home in a box tbh.

Thank you Ireland! :)

I've found that getting a good group of friends in the new place is a priority. When you first move to a new place, I think it's important to say yes to invitations, and make the effort to invite people to places, even if you don't really feel like going out. If someone asks if you want to go out a couple of times and you say no, they probably won't ask you again.

I find the expat lifestyle can be pretty fleeting though too, especially if you mainly hang out with other people who are often only in a place temporarily. It can be easy to find yourself 5 years down the line with all of your best friends having gone back home having to make new friends all over again. The obvious solution to this is to hang out with locals, although I've found it can sometimes be a bit more difficult to get into those social circles, because you're dealing with people who have probably grown up in the area and already have a wide circle of friends, whereas expats are more keen to hang out because they're in the same situation as you. Having said that, I've always gone to quite obscure places, so perhaps somewhere like the Netherlands is a bit different.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.