Homesick

I'd give it more than 6 weeks mate.

My mum and dad moved to NZ in 1965. My mum hated it and never settled, but to her credit she stuck it out for 7 years. She missed Oldham too much. Go figure?
A dickhead I used to work with years ago, emigrated to Australia. Not on a some sort of trial basis - the full monty, sold house, quit job, took kids out of school and over they went.

He arrived in Melbourne and started his new job and after 1 week (this is no lie, 1 week) decided he didn't like it and moved the whole family back to the UK. He was from Yorkshire. Enough said.

Worked abroad quite a lot, when away for a few weeks I do miss some aspects of life in the UK.

When back in the UK get a yearning to get out after a couple of months.

Part of the human condition?

Honestly bud i used to fly back here every weekend when i lived in the dam. That said it was when easyjet tickets were stupidly cheap, tax cost more than the ticket. I can't say i ever got homesick bud, i was to busy looking forward and enjoying it to even remember home.

Is there not a regular flyer discount with any airline or similar?

Don't know about Amsterdam cheap flights but Eindhoven is less than £20 ew. Current sale price is £14-98!

Last edited:
Better off abroad. Can't beat the English people though, and some of the foods you miss in the supermarket.

A dickhead I used to work with years ago, emigrated to Australia. Not on a some sort of trial basis - the full monty, sold house, quit job, took kids out of school and over they went.

He arrived in Melbourne and started his new job and after 1 week (this is no lie, 1 week) decided he didn't like it and moved the whole family back to the UK. He was from Yorkshire. Enough said.

I live in Yorkshire, and have met very similar people. So bull-headed and thick it's untrue.

At my last job there was a new fella who joined, think he was from around the Wakefield area. The only topic of conversation he ever struck up was that he just moved back from Australia. Kept saying it to anybody that would listen. Bragging how good it was and that his Mrs was earning a ridiculous salary and they were wedged out there.

I left soon after he joined, but felt like saying to him, why the fuck have you come home then mate? Especially to such a shithole on a shite wage.

Last edited:
And @KingCarlito at the opposite end of the scale, a while back, I got a job in Bristol and moved here from Manchester. Absolutely hated it at first but with a big overdraft and money finally coming in, really tried to stick it out. My dad convinced me to give it a month or so at least.

That was 37 years ago and I'm still here ;-)

And @KingCarlito at the opposite end of the scale, a while back, I got a job in Bristol and moved here from Manchester. Absolutely hated it at first but with a big overdraft and money finally coming in, really tried to stick it out. My dad convinced me to give it a month or so at least.

That was 37 years ago and I'm still here ;-)
Did you forgive your dad??

Left M/cr in July 1976. Worked for an airline all my life. Transferred to Boston, Mass. for 2 years, then JFK. Transferred again, to LAX in 1999. After 31 years, was "downsized" (Ha!!) and had to leave the U.S. in 2005. Moved to Jamaica then, as my wife was a flt.att. with Air Jamaica. Been here since then.

Never really 'missed' the UK, as was able to get back whenever I wanted, really. Never regretted the moving - had 5 fantastic kids with wife #1 - they are all back in the UK, and we go over at least twice a year now, and see them all, and they come out here with their kids for great holidays. Very close to all of them.

As others have said, with the ease of travel nowadays, I personally don't think that 'homesick' comes into it now, but also, everyone is different. I still call Heaton Moor "Home" as that's where I spent my first 25 years, but it's just another place, really. Would I do it all over again? - absolutely, and would encourage anyone who gets the chance/choice, to do the same.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.