Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

I Remember Spurs giving it the big one in the Kippax 1977 when they tried to take it
Before getting a severe beating and we stuffed them 5-0 too

Mua ha ha

Yeah they came in late at around 3.15

Cops had let us in their segregated bit and when they came up the steps into the kippax it was mayhem all game ... cops quickly put portable barriers up between us .... the side streets after the game was mental and spurs were well game

Cardiff away in the cup curle missed a pen game, serious shit after that must have been 200 lads fighting on a petrol station forecourt main road etc City put up a great performance off the pitch unlike on it, now that was scary
Thought we did better than a great performance mate. Cardiff made a big mistake calling it on there... City’s coaches parked 100 Yds away, they got swamped.

There was some really bad places for hooliganism in the 70's/80's ..... Middlesbrough, Everton, Liverpool, Leeds, West Ham, Chelsea, Wolves, Newcastle, Spurs, none of them were good places to go .... Portsmouth, Millwall and Cardiff also provided challenges to us whenever we had to go there in later years.

We had loads of trouble when we played at Nottingham Forest tin an early 70's FA Cup tie .... and we also saw loads of trouble in another FA Cup tie up at Newcastle in the 80's ..... the league game at Old Trafford during the rags relegation year (early 70's) was also a really bad day for football hooliganism, and it kicked off bigtime in the scoreboard paddock after the pitch invasion.

On a personal note, despite going all over the country with City for 25 years, i only experienced any real trouble at Spurs and Leeds, but you always had to have your wits about you as in those days trouble could happen literally anywhere, but they certainly aren't days that i'd ever want to see again .... even if , as a few on here have said , there did appear to be far more of a 'buzz' to going to games back then.
Forest was dodgy as fook back in the late 70s

Too many to mention but Cardiff away fa cup definitely is up there Millwall cold blow lane and then again at the new den for a night game

Yep, Cold Blow Lane was a daunting, even creepy, place to visit , and you never felt comfortable there , narrow streets, dodgy characters hanging around in groups, i remember them attacking a City coach before one game there and bricking its windows .... we walked to the ground from New Cross Station, and even though there were a few hundered of us, flanked by coppers, you always felt a bit uneasy and were always looking over your shoulders!

Coldblowlane2.jpgColdblowlane8.jpg55c3e6eaf4d0a7619b4e8074f838227f.jpg

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.