Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

I'm surprised no-one ever started a business venture out of football hooliganism in the form of organised sport.
You see all these Eastern European hooligans meeting in forests to batter each other.

If you could create a format (i.e. 15 v 15, rules, proper safety gear, referees etc) and get it on PPV. Would be so funny to watch. Like real-life Wrestlemania.

Now in response to this thread, I'm sure football hooliganism really appealed to some, but looking at attendances it's clear to see it had a negative impact on the sport as a whole. Attendances dwindle. There were issues with racism, homophobia etc. Surely it's a good thing it's essentially been wiped out of English Football?

You still get it on the continent, and it always seems to end up with a bunch of innocent fans who're enjoying a pint getting tombstoned by one of Putin's bodyguards. The little shits and gobby fans always seem to evade any real bother.

I have many traps and snares for cocky rags.i know more about their shitty club than they do,and prove it time and time again.
But only when pushed/provoked,when i am in the mood....
They all want to talk loudly about history...until i turn up,and decide to focus upon specific bits of their history..which they genuinely have no clue about.the shitty bits.got a long memory me.:)

lol , yes i've tied a few up in knots myself ....

i mentioned to one rag dipstick the other week, who was droning on about their attendances, that during their relegation campaign one of their home league matches only attracted a crowd of 28,000 ... but would he have it , would he fuck as like!

It's true though!

Last edited:

i mentioned to one rag dipstick the other week, who was droning on about their attendances, that during their relegation campaign one of their home league matches only attracted a crowd of 28,000 ... but would he have it , would he fuck as like!

It's true though!
20 odd thousand there for a league match against Wimbledon in 89 I think

It's true though!

Also for a while Alex Stepney, who was their keeper, was their leading scorer as he took their penalties.

I’m sure there was a Friday night televised game at the Swamp v Spurs in Dec 83 which attracted less than 30000.
Crowds in general were dropping around then due to unemployment, hooliganism etc. There were many games at Anfield played out against a backdrop of hundreds of empty seats in the Kemlyn Road stand .

Now in response to this thread, I'm sure football hooliganism really appealed to some, but looking at attendances it's clear to see it had a negative impact on the sport as a whole. Attendances dwindle. There were issues with racism, homophobia etc. Surely it's a good thing it's essentially been wiped out of English Football?

You still get it on the continent, and it always seems to end up with a bunch of innocent fans who're enjoying a pint getting tombstoned by one of Putin's bodyguards. The little shits and gobby fans always seem to evade any real bother.

Yes it was what it was back in the day but going to a game is much better without it. A lot of us talking about it now might sound like we are glorifying it but we are just reminiscing of a time long gone except for a few youngsters trying to resurrect it. There is however a sense of pride in not allowing others to take liberties with our fan base and if at home in our city. That's just how it was.

I started going in 1968 as a kid and there was violence back then. I have no idea when it started but I always remember it. It must have been the late seventies/ early eighties when so called firms started up with names and calling cards and the fashion trend came with it. Before that teenagers just wore the fashion of the day but old clobber was advised away as you were more likely to be in a punch up. I remember having a crombie and tonic trousers, though it was jeans for the game. Also monkey boots which were cheaper than Doc Martin's. I remember polishing mine for hours before a game, we used to buy them from Jack's in Moss Side although I lived in Wythenshawe.

The continent took a while to catch up, indeed for a long time it was called the English disease. Before that it was mainly fan's fighting the police as the poor locals had little chance against a huge England mob made up of experienced hard core hooligan firms, padded out with beer monsters too. As it died out in England and banning orders etcetera came to the fore it had picked up abroad. This was/is unfortunate for what are now mostly decent non violent England fans as they are still seen as a big scalp by the foreign firms when in reality they are far from what they were back then.

Lads who get involved now are silly as with all the surveillance around their chances of getting away with it are slim. The problem is young males are aggressive in all the animal kingdom so I guess a bit of violence where they meet in groups will always occur.

I'm surprised no-one ever started a business venture out of football hooliganism in the form of organised sport.
You see all these Eastern European hooligans meeting in forests to batter each other.

If you could create a format (i.e. 15 v 15, rules, proper safety gear, referees etc) and get it on PPV. Would be so funny to watch. Like real-life Wrestlemania.
Imagine there was VAR there as well? They’d never dare get it wrong !

Obligatory plastic chairs and traffic cones on the side too so then can lob em at each other

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.