Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

any1 remember derby county away last game of the season, got the train from Donny and when it got to Sheffield there was hundreds of city going to the game any way we got to derby and it was kicking off down a street and police didn't know what to do, stay with us off the Sheffield train or go down the street, that was until most city fans ran down the street to join up with other city fans, at the end of the game hundreds of derby fans came on to the pitch and came over to the city fans at the side of the ground and all hell broke out the walk back to the station was interesting as well
I was at that game at Derby and even got on the pitch ( beach in them days ). Think the terrace houses after the game got a bit of vandalism as well .

Old Trafford wasn't a good place to be that day .... i was stood in the United Road Paddock (or the old cantilever stand, visible on the top photo) , you could sense that crowd trouble was brewing throughout in the second half , and when thousands of rags invaded the pitch from the Stretford End i think the majority of the coppers just gave up trying to stop them, and stood to one side of the pitch .... so we saw a situation where hundreds of rags then just scaled the fences at the scoreboard end in an attempt to mix it with City fans , who had by now, all congregated in the nearby scoreboard paddock ... and with the City fans now loudly taunting them, and nobody to stop them, it was only a matter of time before the rags entered that section too , where it all kicked off with the City fans ..... and it really DID kick off too!

It's probably just as well that we didn't quite take the number of fans to Old Trafford that day that we did in subsequent years, or there could well have been a real bloodbath.

View attachment 4117

View attachment 4119

I grew up in Adswood before we moved to Cheadle Hume. There was little support fir Stockport County in Cheadle Hulme. It was all City and United.

I was a regular at Edgeley Park along with a group of City fans when they played on Friday nights (Friday Night is County Night). I do admit that we used to wind the locals up somewhat.

One match we pretended to be Colchester fans and even were cited in the MEN. “The Colchester supporters did not wake up until the second half”.

One match against Tranmere we noticed that there were a large group of Scousers there. We asked why half of them had red and white scarves and half were in blue and white. Liverpool and Everton came the reply!

Yep , i used to drink in the Kennilworth pub on Cheadle Road , as well as the British Legion on Turves Road , and i don't think i ever met a Stockport County fan in either ....... i watched a derby match in the Britsh Legion on one occasion and almost 200 City fans showed up, and 13 rags !

But that was the noughties ..... i lived in Adswood back in the mid 70's, it was bit on the rough side!

Natalie Pike , the City square matchday presenter, lived in Ladybridge in Cheadle Hulme and would often watch the away games in the Kennilworth ...... and noting your location iup n Edinburgh is a bit uncanny, because that's where she's originally from!

Last edited:
They were making all kinds of excuses, like only 50 got out of The Denmark... truth is, City mullered them big time.
Whenever United's boys got spanked back in the day their was always a tale City had help from Rangers ( ok happened once in the seventies )Bolton?!! or even Leeds WTF. Never could admit they were not the cocks of the walk.

Whenever United's boys got spanked back in the day their was always a tale City had help from Rangers ( ok happened once in the seventies )Bolton?!! or even Leeds WTF. Never could admit they were not the cocks of the walk.
Funny you should say that... right after the Science Park, a well known mixed race (utd main firm) lad from Oldham, who I’ve known since we were at School, rang me. He said “who the fuck was that” I said what do you mean. He “that wasn’t City”

April 1982
Got a good kicking over the road from the social club as we walked back to town alongside a crew of about 50 WHU wearing diamond pringles
Received a 'congratulations you just met the ICF' card to go with my busted nose

Great days away using persil vouchers for the train & other vouchers for national coaches - thanks Mum - RIP

Coach trips tagging on to the Mayne Line (suited n booted to jib in)

Brighton away nicking a milk float & reinacting quadrophenia on the beach
Breakfast in the Grand Hotel - few months after the bombing

Chelsea away - Jim Tolmie free kick
Programme hut being tipped over with programme seller still in it - laughing so much until copper smacked me
After game having fun up & down the Kings Road

Pompey - Simo lop - kicked to fuck all the way back to the train station

Newcastle away on the service - 60 of us having fun in Durham - we all agree Tolmie is better than Keegan - not that day got beat 5-0
Return service absolute mayhem with big grizzly geordies for about an hour

So many more happy days early 1980s through the 90s - many a new friend made on each trip - still see many from those days in SS3

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.