Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

It wasn nowhere near 7,000 .... MIllwall only averaged 7,000 fans in the league that season , so for that to happen they must have fetched almost EVERY supporter that they could muster!

They have NEVER brought anywhere near 7,000 to City , the section of the ground that they were allocated in the North Stand only held around 3,000 visiting fans to start with , and i think that's all the amount of tickets that ANY visiting club was allowed in the league anyway that season ... although for a cup game you got a larger allocation, as you always do.

City, for example, had almost almost 13,000 at Old Trafford for an FA Cup game one season ....
That was a great day at the swamp in that FA cup game. IIRC we should have had a pen when , i think, Kenny Clements was going to head it in and some fucker ( Hughes maybe, cant remember ) pushed down on his jump. I was in the corner of Utd Rd/scorboard terrace standing. We had all the scoreboard and a corner of Utd Rd .At least 14,000 blues there that day. Loads of blues in the seats above too, who quicly lowered a mouthy gobshite rag in his yellow rain mac head first into the blues below. It was touch and go all week if the match would go ahead as the weather was shire, but the rags put a hot air cover ob the pitch to keep it thawed. We lost but it was a great day

That was a great day at the swamp in that FA cup game. IIRC we should have had a pen when , i think, Kenny Clements was going to head it in and some fucker ( Hughes maybe, cant remember ) pushed down on his jump. I was in the corner of Utd Rd/scorboard terrace standing. We had all the scoreboard and a corner of Utd Rd .At least 14,000 blues there that day. Loads of blues in the seats above too, who quicly lowered a mouthy gobshite rag in his yellow rain mac head first into the blues below. It was touch and go all week if the match would go ahead as the weather was shire, but the rags put a hot air cover ob the pitch to keep it thawed. We lost but it was a great day

Yep, i was in the top corner right under the scorebord ..... i think Whiteside got the only goal , and we had one disallowed.

It was very much a mixed firm that day and fucking bedlam.

Burnley at home around the same time was also fucking mental as i remember being ran for what seemed like an hour after the game and at one point, nearly getting fucking filled in by our own lads and had to dive over some poor fuckers wall into their front garden to get away lol.
When I say Millwall are what they are I mean they attract hooligans from other firms who look up to them and are mostly wannabees. But I seen them at the Burnden park on a mundane saturday in the old 3rd division, and at Oldham when City never had a game in the early 80's. Cause trouble in a monastery that lot.

Not read the thread but Coventry in the cup at home was something else. Even the Main stand was at it that day lol.

When I say Millwall are what they are I mean they attract hooligans from other firms who look up to them and are mostly wannabees. But I seen them at the Burnden park on a mundane saturday in the old 3rd division, and at Oldham when City never had a game in the early 80's. Cause trouble in a monastery that lot.

Yep, they caused a fair bit of havoc at Luton ......

Last edited:
Not read the thread but Coventry in the cup at home was something else. Even the Main stand was at it that day lol.

i don't really think the Main standers had much choice really , the lack of coppers inside the ground at that late stage of the game completely left the door open to the Coventry fans to actually reach the Main Stand, just as a lot of our fans in there were exiting at the tail end of the game .... the few stewards in there were neither 'use nor ornament' so our fans merely stood up for themselves and clobbered a few oif them back!

Last edited:
i don't really think the Main stand had much choice really , the lack of coppers inside the ground left the door open to the Coventry fans to reach the Main Stand as most of our fans in there were about to leave at the end of the game .... our fans merely stood up for themselves and hit a few back!

Still from the Kippax AA Lower it was a sight to behold.

Sure that was the same day as charlton 5-1 & the bradford fire (rip) might be wrong??
Yeah was buzzing coming out of Maine Rd then started to learn about the other events. Not to sound morbid but the 80s was a decade of so many disasters and infamous murders that it almost didnt shock back then

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.