Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

That was a great day at the swamp in that FA cup game. IIRC we should have had a pen when , i think, Kenny Clements was going to head it in and some fucker ( Hughes maybe, cant remember ) pushed down on his jump. I was in the corner of Utd Rd/scorboard terrace standing. We had all the scoreboard and a corner of Utd Rd .At least 14,000 blues there that day. Loads of blues in the seats above too, who quicly lowered a mouthy gobshite rag in his yellow rain mac head first into the blues below. It was touch and go all week if the match would go ahead as the weather was shire, but the rags put a hot air cover ob the pitch to keep it thawed. We lost but it was a great day
I was in the paddock. You’re right, we had 14,000 tickets (25%) and other blues were walking round and getting in the city end. It kicked off in the stadium at full time. My mate lost his shoe climbing up into the seats to join in. I think that was the game where an enormous United firm surprised City in The Whalley and mayhem ensued with City mainly sitting ducks.

Yeah was buzzing coming out of Maine Rd then started to learn about the other events. Not to sound morbid but the 80s was a decade of so many disasters and infamous murders that it almost didnt shock back then

I can recall leaving Ewood Park,. Blackburn, after they'd pasted us 4-0 , and i was feeling pissed off after yet another shambolic City performance ..... as i was sat on the pub car park on the coach news came through of the Hillsborough disaster , it kinda put what i was feeling into perspective.

Yeah was buzzing coming out of Maine Rd then started to learn about the other events. Not to sound morbid but the 80s was a decade of so many disasters and infamous murders that it almost didnt shock back then
Felt exactly same mate was on cloud nine leaving maine road that day, got home & my dad showed me what had happened at bradford (rip), but like you say one of many the 80’s gave us, tho prob the most horriffic

I was in the paddock. You’re right, we had 14,000 tickets (25%) and other blues were walking round and getting in the city end. It kicked off in the stadium at full time. My mate lost his shoe climbing up into the seats to join in. I think that was the game where an enormous United firm surprised City in The Whalley and mayhem ensued with City mainly sitting ducks.
Great atmosphere and top showing by city that day. I was in the K stand and yes there was a firm of rags in there. A firm of Whitefield blues were punch to punch with them over the wall in the seats. I say Whitefield blues cos I recognised a lad with glasses on and curly dark hair who my girlfriend worked with at the time. He was full on with his combinations into a big rags face and I thought go on lad if your glasses come off I'll look after them for you haha

I can recall leaving Ewood Park,. Blackburn, after they'd pasted us 4-0 , and i was feeling pissed off after yet another shambolic City performance ..... as i was sat on the pub car park on the coach news came through of the Hillsborough disaster , it kinda put what i was feeling into perspective.
I was their too mate. Simon fuckin Garner and all that. Was in a pub over the tops on way back and we just couldn't believe what was being said about the semi. We'd heard bits on the terrace during the game but it was all getting offical while we sat in the pub to drown our post match sorrows

Felt exactly same mate was on cloud nine leaving maine road that day, got home & my dad showed me what had happened at bradford (rip), but like you say one of many the 80’s gave us, tho prob the most horriffic
Still doesn't get alot of remembrance, probably cos Bradford aren't high profile which is just wrong

Remember going to the old Burnden Park for a pre season Friendly v Bolton 89/90?
If this game was ever billed as a Friendly someone got it wrong!
Coin chucking fighting in the streets b4 and after
The Tongue Moor Slashers were around that night

It wasn nowhere near 7,000 .... MIllwall only averaged 7,000 fans in the league that season , so for that to happen they must have fetched almost EVERY supporter that they could muster!

They have NEVER brought anywhere near 7,000 to City , the section of the ground that they were allocated in the North Stand only held around 3,000 visiting fans to start with , and i think that's all the amount of tickets that ANY visiting club was allowed in the league anyway that season ... although for a cup game you got a larger allocation, as you always do.

City, for example, had almost almost 13,000 at Old Trafford for an FA Cup game one season ....

I might be getting my years mixed up but I was recalling them taking the entire Platt Lane end in 1990 season in the January?

FA Cup game I think, Ashley Ward's final game - before that other big firm referenced in the North Stand.

I remember how funny it was because the crowd was put at 17k when the old Platt Lane still had a capacity of around 8k.

What’s the science park story? Always hear references to it but never heard it properly

Yep, and i was on a bus on Portland Steet in the city centre about 6 o'clock , and there was City and Chelsea fans fighting in the middle of the main road there!
Just had a flash back about that game I went to match and some of my lot didn’t bother .. they were boozing in the rose and crown Glossop
And a mini-bus of Chelsea from chesterfield walked in so yes it went off ...court day came always on a Tuesday most expecting a fine and a few hours community service at most....
Not to be!! 6 got 18 months served 12 months Inside ended up featuring on panorama.
One of the old bill asked if they got stuck in ?
so they replied yeh big time this was used as evidence in court and down they went.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.