Horse racing doping in Dubai

Plain Speaking

BBC is running a big story on its front page of a horse racing scandal in Dubai.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/22258011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/22258011</a>

Godolphin trainer Al Zarooni faces horse doping inquiry
Godolphin trainer Mahmood Al Zarooni has admitted making "a catastrophic mistake" after banned substances were found in samples from his horses.

He will attend a British Horseracing Authority inquiry after irregularities were discovered in 11 of 45 horses.

"This is a dark day for Godolphin. We are all shocked by what has happened," Godolphin manager Simon Crisford said.

The 11 horses include unbeaten Certify, who will not be allowed to run in next month's 1,000 Guineas at Newmarket.

Godolphin is the Maktoum family's private thoroughbred horseracing stable and is overseen by the constitutional monarch of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed, who appointed Al Zarooni three years ago.

A statement on Godolphin's website said: "Al Zarooni has admitted that he was responsible for the administration of the prohibited substances."

The trainer said: "Because the horses involved were not racing at the time, I did not realise that what I was doing was in breach of the rules of racing.

"I can only apologise for the damage this will cause to Godolphin and to racing generally."

The substances detected were ethylestrenol and stanozolol. Adam Brickell, director of integrity, legal and risk for the BHA, said: "Ethylestranol and stanozolol are anabolic steroids and therefore prohibited substances under British rules of racing, at any time - either in training or racing."

A former stable groom, 36-year-old Al Zarooni had previously assisted the Godolphin stable's long-term trainer Saeed bin Suroor.

Al Zarooni won his first British Classic in 2011 when Blue Bunting landed the 1,000 Guineas under Frankie Dettori at Newmarket. The filly went on to claim the Irish Oaks.

Rewilding provided a victory at Royal Ascot and Monterosso won the world's richest race, the Dubai World Cup, in March 2012.

In September 2012, he enjoyed a second British Classic success when 25-1 shot Encke upset Camelot to win the St Leger at Doncaster.

The BHA confirmed that on 9 April this year samples were obtained from 45 horses trained by Al Zarooni at Moulton Paddocks Stables in Newmarket and that the Horseracing Forensic Laboratory had detected prohibited substances.

Certify, unbeaten in four career outings and winner of the Shadwell Stud Fillies' Mile at Newmarket in September, had been ante-post favourite through the winter months for the Guineas, but was one of the seven horses whose sample tested positive for ethylestrenol.

Last year's Royal Ascot Gold Cup runner-up Opinion Poll was one of four horses testing positive for stanozolol.

Racing manager Crisford added: "His Highness Sheikh Mohammed was absolutely appalled when he was told and this is completely unacceptable to him. We will await the outcome of the BHA inquiry before taking any further internal action.

"Sheikh Mohammed has instructed me to begin an urgent review of all of our procedures and controls. That is already under way and we will take advice from the BHA in completing it."

No date has yet been announced for the BHA inquiry. However Brickell said: "The BHA understand the importance of this process being carried out as quickly as possible because of implications for betting markets."
BBC Analysis
By Cornelius Lysaght
BBC horse racing correspondent This is hugely embarrassing for Godolphin's figurehead, the man employees called simply 'the Boss' - Sheikh Mohammed, head of the Maktoum family, and, as such, the ruler of Dubai. His hands-on approach to Godolphin, the largest stable in the world, and one of the few players in racing's premier league, is legendary.

It's constantly emphasised how no decision, from numerous horse purchases to race strategy and tactics, is made without reference to 'the Boss'. Indeed, the very fact that most Godolphin horses spend their winters in Dubai is down to his desire to see them on a daily basis, when affairs of state must also be dealt with.

And it's on the back of all this, and the much-vaunted sporting nature of the Sheikh and his family, that Dubai has become amongst the world's great centres for sport and leisure. Yet, apparently right under their noses, perhaps racing's greatest ever drugs scandal has unfolded: little wonder an urgent review of 'all of our procedures and controls' has now been ordered.

I am sure our owners will be unimpressed.

Got to feel sorry for Al Zarooni seemed to be a decent trainer and to be the light that Godolphin needed to compete with the other big yards. Now this training mistake will leave huge question marks over his time as trainer who is to say that he wasnt using this stuff while he began.
The rules are mad from country to country. I think in the US you are aloud to use some drugs or phd's on the horses there but in the UK and Ireland and France your not aloud. So when horses from here goes over there they generally wont run in the UK for a few weeks or more after it so the drugs have worn off them by them. IF they all had a set rule then it would be more black and white and easier to sort out. I wouldnt be shocked if Al Zarooni got the chop after this but it would be harsh I can still see him doing a good job as a trainer I just hope he doesnt get a big ban from the BHA over in the UK for this mistake.

pieface said:
He could lose his licence and be back mucking out by next week.
I think it will be at least a 5 year ban
Or even a lifetime,it's about as serious as it gets whats happened.

-- Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:16 am --

BWTAC said:
I wonder if the bookies will pay back the ante post bets on Certify for the guinneas?
Nope
Had a good chance too.
Edit
Bet365 have just come out and said they will refund all bets,good on them.

The cookie monster said:
pieface said:
He could lose his licence and be back mucking out by next week.
I think it will be at least a 5 year ban
Or even a lifetime,it's about as serious as it gets whats happened.

-- Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:16 am --

BWTAC said:
I wonder if the bookies will pay back the ante post bets on Certify for the guinneas?
Nope
Had a good chance too.
Edit
Bet365 have just come out and said they will refund all bets,good on them.

Ante post bets to be honest no bookie should pay out your taking a risk at a bigger price if the horse doesnt run in the race you loose your money everyone knows the risks involved.

I think it's because of the circumstances Leighton
And ladbrokes have just refunded £200'000 worth of bets
Should imagine the rest will follow suit now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.