Hotel breakfasts in the UK

Ha ha. I often stayed over in London for work and used to be able to get a good rate at the Strand Palace Hotel. Enjoyed their buffet breakfast and would often mix and match English and continental. Fried bread was sometimes an added bonus.
After I'd finished I would often stuff my jacket pockets with a couple of sausages and hash browns or black puddings.
In fact I had travelled up for an internal interview once. One of the interviewers asked me if I could note a couple of things down as part of a question. "Have you got a pen Gregge?" "No problem I said", reached inside my jacket and pulled out a ......sausage.
I didn't get the job dear reader.

Are you Napoleon Dynamite?

In 40 years of working I had a load of overnighters and I have to say the changes were not for the better.

In the old days even in chains you placed your order and it was cooked so that was ok. Not a massive choice available but always decent with fresh toast.

Later we "progressed " to the buffet breakfast. A bit hit and miss really. The "continental" whilst good could always be bad - later in the morning you had ham that was turning a funny colour same with the cheese ( and no indication of the type of ham or cheese most often ) - then there is the cereal - branded boxes ok but milk which is seldom identified as skimmed - semi or full cream. Tea and coffee can be ok but cheap fruit juices served in thimbles is not. Then the cooked brekker - all kept warm under lights which gives you rubbery bacon sausage and eggs ( be they fried or scrambled ) weird mushrooms and cheap beans........oh and that toaster - put the bread through once for warm bread do it a second time for burnt bread.

I once ordered porridge in a Premier Inn in dipperpool - it was just microwaved slice so hot it had boiled over the bowl - did they wipe it up and clean the dish and the plate it came on? Did they fuckers like - it arrived looking like a crime scene.

Best - stayed in Morecambe - one day I ordered kippers - I go fresh kippers grilled to order with a knob of butter on and a slice of brown bread and a pot of tea. Another time in Newbury I ordered smoked haddock with poached egg - it came with a proper bit of smoked haddock - not violently yellow - with a fresh poached egg on top. Probably 20 years ago now but I still dream of that brekker - proper stuff.

What
I’m with you, spent hundreds of nights in business hotels.
My pet hate was Eggs ruined by sitting under lights. Scrambled separated into watery yuck. In a place where they cooked to order I asked for their full English, but NO SAUSAGE. It came with a sausage. Now, I can’t deal with the smell at that time so I asked them to remove it. Waitress: ”Just leave it on the side of your plate, then.”
Next hate was Breakfast served till 9.30. Get there at 9.28 to be greeted with tuts, watch perusing, “Well we’ve cleared now and are laying for lunch.”
Retired to freshly cooked brekky done by myself. Bliss.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.