How are we all feeling about our club today?

Dear Supporter,

I am writing to you regarding the events of the past few days.

I am sorry it has taken a little time, but the circumstances have been somewhat exceptional and it was important to me to contact you directly.

As you know, Manchester City has formally enacted the procedures to withdraw from the group developing plans for a European Super League.

As always, when we make choices and decisions, we do so with the best interests of the Club in mind and we believed that being part of such an initiative could give us a voice that might be imperative to our future ability to succeed and grow.

However, in making that choice we failed to remind ourselves of the unbreakable link between the passion of our fans and the right to have the opportunity to earn success. It is a truth that is fundamental to the DNA of Manchester City and the Board deeply regrets taking a decision that lost sight of the historic values of the Club. We made a mistake and we sincerely apologise to our fans for the disappointment, frustration and anguish caused by the last 72 hours.

I want to personally assure you that the Owners, Chairman, Board and staff are completely committed to ensuring that the club continues to contribute meaningfully to the ongoing well-being of both the English and European football pyramids and their associated competitions. We will embrace the opportunity to earn back the full trust of our stakeholders and the football family in general.

I thank you for taking the time to read this and I extend my thanks to you for your continued support.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Etihad Stadium as soon as circumstances allow.

Yours sincerely

Ferran Soriano, CEO
You were quick! I was just about to reply to you thinking this was something that City could write as an apology lol. Thanks for posting it I wouldn't have thought to check my emails.

There are some very naive people on this site......if we had to solely rely on gate receipts and TV money.....Danny Inge would be our dream signing...not Messi or Harland etc.....whilst not agreeing with the ESL.....the club had no real choice but to join the other 5.

The board have to keep growing the brand with the help of our satellite clubs and buying unknown players to make a profit on, however unpalatable it is to some posters......at the moment we obviously haven’t got the same global followings as some of the other 5.....however the gaps are starting to close slowly.....always aided by our continual success.

We only just make a profit (forgetting the last 12 months) and the obvious reduction in TV Money from Sky for what would have been a depleted Premiership would have had widened the gap with the other 5 even more.

We reluctantly couldn’t take that risk......it’s as simple as that, however we realised pretty quickly that this wasn’t going to take off and backtracked.......fair play to them.

So why should my feelings change for my club.

CTID

Composed before the letter from Soriano

Last edited:
I don’t want an apology, public or otherwise, I would just like an explanation. Not an explanation from the stupid, City hating media, not an explanation from (forgive me Blue Mooners) fans on keyboards who are no nearer the club than we are. Definitely not an explanation from Sorriano. Just an explanation from Khaldoon. Plus I don’t want it just for the fans, I would like it for the hard working staff at City, for every single one of them. Thank you.
Just as I finished typing that and pressed send I heard the ping for an email...it was from the one person I didn’t want it from but hey ho, it was from City! (The one posted by @DontLookBackInAnger )

Football has always been about money and always will be. Owners will come and go. I have followed City through thick and thin and we have had some truly devious owners over the years. I believe that City were railroaded into this at the last moment and made a horrific business judgement. I am sure that Soriano will fall on his sword and the circus will move on.
I think the emotional reaction from fans to what has happened is driven as much by the fall-out from Covid and the way all of us are feeling as it is by our love for our football clubs.
I also suspect that pressure from the Covid crisis (mental and financial) was a factor in the poor decision to back the ESL. It was a crazy idea for us to get involved because CFG has its own very business different model to other clubs who are just pawns in the Stock Markets.
I respect your views as a fellow City fan but in the last 48 hours some of the posts on here (not yours) have been over the top, almost wallowing in misery. I think a lot of people are fragile at the moment for understandable reasons but it's time to "get back on the horse."
Nice to see a 'like' for getting back on the horse from @John Wayne

Fantastic, considered post as ever Chris.

Point 4 is interesting. I think I agree with what you've said but if they have been so intent on damging us, then why throw us a lifeline?

All I can deduce is that

(A) this was in the pipeline at least at the time we won the CAS appeal

(B) the fact we won posed an ongoing threat to their commercial success

(C) that either prompted or hastened the breakaway proposals

(D) their analysis was that our involvement was either advisable or necessary to the success of the project. So we went from being dangerous rival to indispensable accomplice.

That’s the part that stick most in my craw. Getting into bed with those twats was the part that really stank.

Enjoy the game!

Over the years how many owners have give a shite about the fans? None business men are business men money is their aim.the ESL was bollocks from the start I had no worries.......let’s get the champions league straight knockout competition from the start....

Over the years how many owners have give a shite about the fans? None business men are business men money is their aim.the ESL was bollocks from the start I had no worries.......let’s get the champions league straight knockout competition from the start....
On the flip side, how many owners have not given a shite about their employees, playing and coaching staff? You know, those that go out on the pitch come a match day and earn them the money they crave.

Your Girlfriend has a one night stand.

To cope with getting over it , you,and your girlfriend 100% blame her best mate for not watching her.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.