How Big is our warchest?

Could be a busy summer considering the number of potential departures: Otamendi, Kompany, Danilo, Jesus (possibly), Gundogan (possibly) and Sane (possibly).

We should recoup something in the region of £50-170m in sales, depending on who departs.

Hopefully we get £20m+ for Otamendi. We’ll need to add at least another £30m and probably more like £40-50m to secure a top quality centre-back. We might also bring in another centre-back, depending on whether Kompany is leaving or if we are planning to mitigate a transfer ban.

Again, hopefully £20m+ for Danilo (though we might be forced to accept a little less). We’ll need to add another £10-40m to that, depending on whether we are planning to bring in backup or someone to actually challenge Walker.

I think we’ll keep Jesus. Not because the club is determined to keep him or the player is determined to stay, but more because I don’t see anyone available with the necessary qualities to come in and replace him.

We’ll also keep Gundogan. We won’t be able to sell him for anything close to what he is worth. I imagine the club are looking to give him a 2-3 year extension.

I hope we’ll keep Sane, though I’m far less certain about this one. If he does go I expect we’ll bring in circa £100m for him and that should be sufficient to sign his replacement.

We’ll certainly try to bring in a defensive midfielder. Allocate £70m or so there.

David Silva’s potential departure is a wildcard. Again, the prospects of a transfer ban increases the likelihood of this. We’ll probably need to put aside £50m or so here. With Kevin’s injuries last season and Gundogan being injury-prone, I can’t see the club just replacing him with Foden. I think Foden is more likely to take Gundogan’s place long-term.

So total spend of something in the region of £150-200m (assuming we keep Jesus and Gundogan). Subtract probable sales of £50m and we’re looking at £100-150m net.

Lots of assumptions here. I can’t see us spending less than £100m net, but I could see us push the high end of that range out to £200m plus if David Silva and Jesus leaves and/or we bring in a left-sided fullback.

It’s going to be an interesting summer. I don’t recall there being so many unknowns going into a transfer window in recent history.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.