how close to the ground

Due to working on a different ship this week i was able to go home first rather than getting into Piccadilly,having a quick bite to eat and a pint and on to the game.

I was in Altrincham about to leave for the 6pm bus and it was absolutely hammering it down with the wind horrendous.I had a feeling it would be called off so decided to stay home and follow the news.Once i heard GMP were advising people not to come into the city centre i feared the worst,they should have called it off then but it was nearly an hour later they made the decision,much too late for many.In truth i gambled and if it would have been on i would have had a mad dash to make the kick off,luckily my gamble paid off and i stayed indoors warm and dry.

It was a relief to be honest as getting home by public transport after the game would have been a nightmare.I did have a slight chuckle as years ago the only time games got called off was if the pitch was unplayable.I remember once when there was a national bus strike[pre metro days] against Notts Forest and we got 38 thousand,today it would be called off.

I'd been working in London so on the 16.20 train from Euston which should have got me to Piccadilly at 18.28.

Train got stuck south of Tamworth because of overhead line damage ahead, and found out after we'd been there for an hour that the match was off. Good job really as I had no chance of getting to the match and only got home to Stafford at 20.30ish.

Bluemoon dan said:
We were in a pub in town. What was odd was a bloke walked into the pub and announced it was off. Not that it might be off or that the game was in doubt, 100% it was off. Thing was, this was a good 20 minutes before it appeared on Twitter and was confirmed so no idea who or how he knew but he was spot on!

If it was Wetherspoons that'll have been me................

Left the house at 6 (St Retford) and was caught in the traffic big time, missed Chester Rd and got caught on Talbot Rd then Stretford Rd got to higher Cambridge St at 6.40 and then GMR stated game was off.

Was back home by 7 so not too bad for me but I am sure many on here and Sunderland fans were not happy with the late announcement

Was just coming into Crewe, the trains were in a right state at the time anyway so turned back. Shame I had already bought the train ticket, Network Rail wouldn't give me a refund either

19 miles. Had been diverted twice due to accidents then diverted a further four times before getting home at 11.30pm.

I'd been there about an hour, was about to leave the Velopark cafe bar for the ground when I heard it was off

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.