How do you assess our transfer business?

I'd not be surprised if City finish 5th. It's been deeply unimpressive this window and problems we had are still there. It's the least optimistic I've felt in a decade.
Who are the 4 you presume would finish ahead of City?

I'm excited to see Torres and Ake this season but apart from that this window has been yet another let down at this moment.

We have failed to address the biggest problems in the team again which is both CB and LB. These positions have been crying out to us for 3 seasons now! (We got away with winning the treble with Mendy, Zinchenko and Delph at LB - that's all I need to say.) Even before Kompany left we needed another CB because of his injury worries and that should have been #1 priority. Without a leader on the pitch, there isn't much organisation and when things go pear shaped there is nobody who can bring that composure to the side in those vital moments.

Txiki needs to get a grip, his failure to sell on surplus players i.e. Garcia, Gundogan, Otamendi, Angelino, Zinchenko etc. I could go on, we never get any decent fees for our players - they either run down their contracts or leave for peanuts. If it wasn't for us signing Mahrez two seasons back (not needed in my opinion) then I reckon Leroy would still be here and him/Sterling would be the best wing paring in the world (Like we saw back in 17-18 season)
At this moment in time I worry for the team, there are too many areas where additions/replacements are needed. We need to be buying/selling smart, Liverpool have done it very well recently with selling Coutinho. Jesus is all alone again up front, Aguero unfortunately we can't rely on anymore - I think this will be his last season with us. Replacing Silva is never going to be easy, one in a million player but if we can someone with half his ability then we have done well.
I fear for us, especially with Chelsea and Liverpool strengthening this window. I really hope we can turn it around in the last two weeks or I feel it will be another depressing season (Like Pellers last season in charge).

I don't disagree with 99% of that but you can't lump Gundogan in as a failure to sell when Pep doesn't want him sold.

Who are the 4 you presume would finish ahead of City?
He hasn't presumed anything, he has said he wouldn't be surprised if we finish fifth based on our (lack of) business this window

Where do you think your club will finish?
While I'm not as pessimistic about where we'd finish as the poster was. I understand the lack of optimism.

Chelsea has tooled up considerably, Liverpool has supplemented, United was already giving us problems with their speed up front, and Arsenal nicked us at the tail end of the season last year. We didn't finish well, and we haven't fixed perceived weaknesses nor started training on a high note.

Thus, the feeling of pessimism is not beyond believability.

Average, replaced players we have lost the last 2 seasons (Ake for vinny, Torres for Sane) and fully promoted foden to replace Silva

Haven't built on the squad with extra though or got rid of those not in contention.

The squad is not weaker or stronger than last year

Let's take the squad for what it is rn. Ignoring the chance of going far in CL, and let's say, Aguero does stay fit and Jesus stays ahead. How badly could we do?

GK:
Ederson/Steffen

Full backs:
Cancelo/Walker
Mendy/Zinchenko*/Aké*

Centre halves:
Stones/Garcia/Laporte/Aké/Fernandinho*

Midfield:
Rodri, Gündogan, KDB, Bernardo Silva*, Foden.
Fernandinho*, Zinchenko*

Attack:
Mahrez/Ferran Torres/Raheem/Jesus*/Bernardo Silva*

Aguero/Jesus*

* Players who can be accommodated elsewhere than their expected role.

Tommy Doyle and Harwood-Bellis as the academy lads training with first team. Same with Braaf but I'm not aware what his status exactly is with squad.

Is this a potential title winning squad?

Without doubt.

We're arguably weaker than last season when you look at aguero's injury, Merlin gone etc. And every other team is strengthening. Ake is a good signing but nobody knows where he is actually going to play - CB, LB, CDM... Torres looks good but is an unknown quantity to a large extent. We have 1 fit striker, still light at CB & LB imo and I'm worried about this season. Genuinely find it hard to see us winning the league at the moment based on both our transfer business and last season's performances.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.