How Do You Respond To Stress?

DelToro

Genuinely curious.

Work has been stressing me out in recent weeks.

I have some difficult clients for whom I am undertaking some relatively complex work and there are all sorts of issues around unclear lines of responsibilities, vague timescales etc,

It is affecting me.

I am, by nature an introvert. But the stress is making me even more introverted which is counter productive because all I do is think about the problems, magnify them and worry about them more. The more stressed I am the less likely I am to talk about it. I get unduly concerned as to how other people think about me and I tend to assume the worst.

It even spoiled the premiership winning weekend because I was preoccupied by some nasty e.mail correspondence on the Friday evening.

I try to exercise - long bike rides are my thing but because work is so busy I have less opportunity to get out on the bike.

This isn't a cry for help - I'll get through it but I am curious as to how stress affects other people and how you try to counter it.

I use prozac but I know that's not necessarily the universal answer. Humour obviously as you know deflects your attention from issues that stress you. Try not to worry about the things you have no control over, that takes time I learnt though.

dronefromsector7g said:
I use prozac but I know that's not necessarily the universal answer. Humour obviously as you know deflects your attention from issues that stress you. Try not to worry about the things you have no control over, that takes time I learnt though.

Responding to your fucking threads before they are binned is a big help I admit.

The op and the first reply surprise me. Goes to show how we can be quite extrovert online..

I react badly to stressful situations either drawing into my shell or, lashing out with my gob.

it'd be so much easier if people didn't take the piss.. ;-)

I tend to go a bit wild if I'm stressed - out with mates on a big bender or I take to my bed and watch endless episodes of gossip girl or some other crap tv series. I've made a stressful decision this weekend and not sure it was the right decision but good old Pinot is helping

I suffer with crippling anxiety
On meds i can cope with most things, off them i can't cope at all so i stay on them and retaining my sense of humour is paramount

dronefromsector7g said:

Yep, humour is a biggy for me.

I also keep myself aware that there worst things to experience in life, as can be found in this thread: <a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=302482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=5&t=302482</a> NOT that I am saying people are suffering so shut the fuck up. People who think like that and say that sort of thing are arseholes. I'm just saying when I come across things like that thread it acts as a reminder and enables to me put things in the right order.

Also, I am a proud misanthrope and things like this are a work of art to me:

Fargo+(Serie+de+TV)+-+What+if+you%27re+right+and+they%27re+wrong+poster+peces+fishes.jpg

ignoring the obvious answers you'll no doubt get (drinking and wanking) i'll try to be more helpful in my response.

you need to make sure that you can distance yourself from the source of the stress and switch off when you can. exercise is brilliant for this, as is posting on here or getting engrossed in a book or film.
make sure you sleep with a notepad by your bed so that when you wake up in the middle of the night worrying about what you need to remember to do you can write it down to make sure you remember it the next day.
while at work, try to break down the work / project into achievable goals if the overall assignment appears insurmountable.
delegate where you can and learn to identify what aspects of the work you can or can't influence, deal with what you can but accept that certain issues are beyond your control.

look after yourself. x

First thing to say is whatever you do, don't bottle your feelings up, talk about your problems with anyone who will listen, close friends, even strangers on the internet.

Try and get some good kip, an early night with a good book, hot milky drink and maybe the odd tablet (Boot's Sleepeze are good, no prescription needed) will ensure you awake fresh in the morning.

Don't support Manchester City...It's enough to give anyone stress, big time.

HTH.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.