How does the media know what City pays their players etc?

skybluekings

Most of the British media seem to always make price quotes about transfer fees and weekly salaries for players, for example The Daily Star is stating that Viera will get £2.5m for 6 months this season.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/115836/Patrick-Vieira-nears-Manhester-City-deal/

How do they know what the contract details are even though at this point, Viera hasn't even signed a contract?

If this is all speculation, how are they allowed to make statements as "fact" (because they do not say - 'it is rumored or estimated')? This just reflects negatively on the club if the "fee" they quote are something outlandish eg the £7m per year for Veron etc.

Some have even stated that Viera will be paid £150,000 per week!

Why do they get away with this (writing whatever they want and passing it off as fact)?

They make it up as they go along, I reckon, or at the very least they distort it by including every possible perk (attendance fees, progression in cups, goals scored) in the wage figure they quote.

If they just make it up, wouldn't this count as slander, if they put the club in a negative light?

Mostly they say stuff like " a reported 150,000 per week " of " the contract is thought be worth 150,000 per week" they use the correct wording to make the readers think its fact but no enable the club to do anything about it

skybluekings said:
If they just make it up, wouldn't this count as slander, if they put the club in a negative light?

Not slander really... and they don't "just make it up" as I've already explained. They may get it wrong but agents and hangers-on have a lot to do with the drip feed of such info.

Kinky by name said:
skybluekings said:

Not slander really... and they don't "just make it up" as I've already explained. They may get it wrong but agents and hangers-on have a lot to do with the drip feed of such info.

This is the Daily Star statement excerpt:
"The midfielder, 33, will be paid £2.5m for his ­six-month stint, money City will say is well spent if Vieira helps them qualify for the Champions League."

That sounds like a "fact" (as it does not use any 'probable' wording) to me as a reader.

skybluekings said:
Kinky by name said:

This is the Daily Star statement excerpt:
"The midfielder, 33, will be paid £2.5m for his ­six-month stint, money City will say is well spent if Vieira helps them qualify for the Champions League."

That sounds like a "fact" (as it does not use any 'probable' wording) to me as a reader.

It's free to be challenged mate. Badly presented in my view but I didn't write it; the player, agent and the club are free to have it corrected... but they will not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.