How good was the Hacienda?

There is a Light

Was it worthy of it's legendary status? It looks brilliant in the video below!

Although as a teenager I was into the music and the clothes, I was too young and too far away to go.

I eventually went it was for a half empty indie night when it was on it's knees in the mid 90's. It was good for a nosey at the club inside, but as far away from the clips below as you could get.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th5AObhdJfs[/youtube]

Not meaning to hijack but whilst on this topic has anybody read this...?

haienda-how-not-run-club-peter-hook-paperback-cover-art.jpg

If so would you recommend?

If you can remember how good The Hacienda was, you weren't there.

Or was that the 1960's?

The Hac was pretty dreadful for it's first five years or so. Empty, cavernous, a bit posey and with a dreadful sound system. Unless New Order were playing there it was just a lovely building playing great music to a few "in the know people".

Then when E arrived and the dance music scene took off it was like heaven on earth for a couple of years. Every single person in there was dancing and hugging and going through that E honeymoon period. But after about 1990 it was struggling to maintain that vibe. To satisfy the police the door became stricter and the dealers reduced.

It was a bit of a catch 22: the Hacienda knew full well that without hundreds of good Es the club was dead, but they had to be seen to try to eliminate the drugs. There were still good nights but the heyday was gone.

It was a shit live venue, the sound just didn't carry well.
I used to go on a Thursday for the indie nights and they were all right.

One aspect that never seems to get a mention is the bouncers were wankers. You never knew if you were going to get in or not.
They would walk down the queue and you'd say to yourself ''oh fuck, here we go...''
If they walked past you, you breathed a sigh of relief... otherwise you got the dreaded ''sorry mate, not tonight''. You'd argue like fuck with them as to 'why not' but it never got you anywhere.... if there was a good number of you, say 6 or 8, they'd left 4 in and fuck the others off.... it was just so random.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Even though I had an open guest list whenever I fancied popping down I rarely went there.

The more earthly nightspots such as the PSV, the Thunderdome and the Hippodrome in Middleton were much more to my tastes than a tourist honeypot full of self-important wannabes.

Yes, coaches from all over Yorkshire / Staffordshire turning up each week!
As above, the smart kids went to the Thunderdome etc (not that i was one of those smart kids... ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.