How Manchester City Could Break Even (A Damned Good Read)

jrb

By the Swiss Ramble.

Don't know if it's already been posted. Apologies if it has. Too much to copy and paste. <a class="postlink" href="http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-manchester-city-could-break-even.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2010/10 ... -even.html</a>

Hahaha, I love that pic of Mansour. Just smile and wave boys, just smile and wave.

I keep reading that Platini is trying to bring in a "level playing field" where all clubs have to work within their revenue.

But how can it be fair play when each country (and football club) live in completely different environments?

For instance... for us to sign a footballer will cost the player 50% on his tax rate for wages received, while players signing in Spain will pay only 20% tax... so straight away we are clearly working at a disadvantage to those countries with a lower tax rate than ours.

How can we attract players when we are having to subsidise an an additional 30% for their tax payments?

Also, we have a communal TV arrangement where the money is, to a large extent, shared between all clubs in the league... whereas in Spain clubs are allowed to broker their own TV deals and so generate many, many more millions than our top clubs can do at the present.

Are UEFA suggesting that in England we scrap the shared TV money and make it every man for himself? How does that help the development of football in England, as all it does is protect the already wealthy?

This is all a con and borders on discrimination.

I hope our lawyers (and the Premier League) are getting ready to fight our corner...

Soulboy said:
I keep reading that Platini is trying to bring in a "level playing field" where all clubs have to work within their revenue.

But how can it be fair play when each country (and football club) live in completely different environments?

For instance... for us to sign a footballer will cost the player 50% on his tax rate for wages received, while players signing in Spain will pay only 20% tax... so straight away we are clearly working at a disadvantage to those countries with a lower tax rate than ours.

How can we attract players when we are having to subsidise an an additional 30% for their tax payments?

Also, we have a communal TV arrangement where the money is, to a large extent, shared between all clubs in the league... whereas in Spain clubs are allowed to broker their own TV deals and so generate many, many more millions than our top clubs can do at the present.

Are UEFA suggesting that in England we scrap the shared TV money and make it every man for himself? How does that help the development of football in England, as all it does is protect the already wealthy?

I hope our lawyers (and the Premier League) are getting ready to fight our corner...

The first club to fall foul of it will challenge through the courts with points such as these and win.

Soulboy said:

You're exactly right, plus with some teams playing in (and earning revenue from) Champions/Europa Leagues it unfairly discriminates against teams that don't.

The whole thing seems like a knee-jerk reaction to City's newfound riches and isn't very well thought out.

It's a plan to keep the biggest and richest clubs at the top, so clubs like City, etc, will never get a fair chance at joining the table of plenty. otherwise known as the CL. A prime example being Everton, etc. They haven't go a chance. Whereas the likes of Barca, Madrid, United, Milan, Bayern, etc, can keep on dominating football forever, due to their support, stadiums and income.

Yeah! That's really fair and doing football a service, isn't it PLATINI.

The only way it could be fair play would be if everyone had the same amount of money, which isn't going to happen, everyone paid the same tax etc etc etc. I really do believe that as we near the dreaded date there will be a major challenge through the courts. Surely this is some sort of restriction of business.
The article does in places make sense. The major flaw though is if the writer is such an expert and knows as much as or more than our owners team, then why isn't he worth £550 billion?

Breadsnapper said:
The only way it could be fair play would be if everyone had the same amount of money, which isn't going to happen, everyone paid the same tax etc etc etc. I really do believe that as we near the dreaded date there will be a major challenge through the courts. Surely this is some sort of restriction of business.
The article does in places make sense. The major flaw though is if the writer is such an expert and knows as much as or more than our owners team, then why isn't he worth £550 billion?

cos he wasn't born into a royal family sitting on a sea of oil...

The plan is to develop players through our academy & development squads. We wouldnt need to pay these players 30% more than in Spain because they are brought through the system on reasonable wages. We wont be going out spending £20m plus on players frequently anymore.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.