How many of our academy will be in the first team in 2-3 years time?

So if we sign Bissouma you think Lavia should leave? lets put it a different way if Fernadinho leaves that will leave a space, we will have 1 DM in Rodri who has just missed a game, we are already short of players in this position as Gundogan(also missed a game) can not do the DM position, we need 3 players for this position and 2 quality players being pushed by a youth player is ideal
Ideal for City, not for the player. He'll get plenty of minutes at a top club like Bellingham and the like, I rate him that high. Do you really think he'll hang around being youth player playing some cup games ? I don't think he will.

I would be happy with Foden + 2 more.

I would absolutely love 5 or 6 or 7 in the team but it's just so improbable.

In order of likelihood of making it IMHO:
McAtee, Delap, Palmer, Lavia, Wilson-Esbrand, Mbete, T Doyle, THB, C Doyle, Hamilton.

I would be happy with Foden + 2 more.

I would absolutely love 5 or 6 or 7 in the team but it's just so improbable.

In order of likelihood of making it IMHO:
McAtee, Delap, Palmer, Lavia, Wilson-Esbrand, Mbete, T Doyle, THB, C Doyle, Hamilton.

Surely Wilson-Esbrand has the best chance of making it due to the fact there’s a clear pathway with no one in his way?

Surely Wilson-Esbrand has the best chance of making it due to the fact there’s a clear pathway with no one in his way?
Yeah but he has to be good enough, at first team level, consistently. I'm not saying he can't do it, he seems a very capable player. He's 5th on my list ahead only behind the 4 top tier talents in the EDS.

It might not be a popular opinion in these parts but Bacon Face did a brilliant job bringing the Beckham/Giggs/Scholes generation through. Not many managers would be so bold when fighting for titles. Still a bullying git though!
Ferguson clearly handled them well but it was thirty years ago and the premier league has moved on.Back then by and large their opposition were the best players from Britain and Ireland with a few Scandinavians thrown in. There was not a non British manager in the premier league . Italy, Spain, Germany and France were attracting talent more than England could. Ince Kanchelskis and Staam were all sold abroad.

Now the Premier league is the best paying league and young players have to come up against players of a higher standard coached by managers with a far greater degree of tactical sophistication.

Since then the best players produced by the same manager with the same set up were the likes of Kieron RIchardson, Fletcher O'Shea Welbeck and Cleverly . Reasonable players who were given a chance but not whilst they were young pivotal in league titles. Meanwhile Pogba moved on in part because he was not given the same opportunity.

Last edited:

Yeah but he has to be good enough, at first team level, consistently. I'm not saying he can't do it, he seems a very capable player. He's 5th on my list ahead only behind the 4 top tier talents in the EDS.

He only needs to be better than Zinchenko to start games

McAtee and Palmer have 7 or 8 world class attacking midfielders to get past.

JWE and Lavia have the best chance of succeeding because they have an open pathway that doesn't involve being better than seasoned internationals at the peak of their careers.

He only needs to be better than Zinchenko to start games
You would think that but in reality Ake and Cancelo will get games before any young left back. I think that the result of the Mendy situation will determine Wilson Esbrands future.
Half the posters on this website are screaming for a new left back.
I'd prefer to see Wilson Esbrand and Zinchenko fight for left back and let Cancelo do the same with Walker on the right.

You would think that but in reality Ake and Cancelo will get games before any young left back. I think that the result of the Mendy situation will determine Wilson Esbrands future.
Half the posters on this website are screaming for a new left back.
I'd prefer to see Wilson Esbrand and Zinchenko fight for left back and let Cancelo do the same with Walker on the right.
Cancelo and Walker are not competing for RB because they do different things for Pep.

This is why he constantly plays both.

There is more competition right now for LB with Cancelo and Zinchenko competing.

Once Walker is too old for us, Cancelo will take that spot and compete with another youth player (Couto probably, and even CJ Egan Riley as a defensive right back), then JWE can compete with Zinchenko to start as LB.

Just really hope we don't buy because I believe we have quality options for the future for both LB and RB.

Ideal for City, not for the player. He'll get plenty of minutes at a top club like Bellingham and the like, I rate him that high. Do you really think he'll hang around being youth player playing some cup games ? I don't think he will.
Yeah i recon he will stay around if we sign someone like Bissouma, Rodri,Bissouma and Lavia are all defensive midfielders but none play alike, and that suits Peps ability to change tactics fluidly, we have 3 positions on the pitch where we play 1 player striker defensive midfield and goalkeeper all need 3 choices, so it is down to Lavia to prove he is good enough

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.