How many of our academy will be in the first team in 2-3 years time?

I'll throw Bazunu and Couto into the mix as well. And maybe the new lad Kayky, depending on how it pans out. Fiorini is a long shot but not impossible.

Feeling pretty confident on Lavia and McAtee. Other than that I think Palmer, Delap, Wilson-Esbrand and one of C.Doyle/Mbete/THB/Burns has a good chance. Too early to say on the U18s, but I`d keep a close eye on Carlos Borges and Hamilton. In only 2-3 years time Fernandinho, Laporte, Gundogan, Bernardo and Mahrez could all be gone, so there are definitely spots up for grabs. If Sterling doesn`t renew this season he`s probably gone in the summer
Without mentioning Tommy Doyle or Kayke, thats a good list of nine or so players with the potential to be 1st team squad players. Not all of them will make it but those that don't will still have a great football career somewhere and earn the Club decent money. The academy really is starting to mature into something special.

Without mentioning Tommy Doyle or Kayke, thats a good list of nine or so players with the potential to be 1st team squad players. Not all of them will make it but those that don't will still have a great football career somewhere and earn the Club decent money. The academy really is starting to mature into something special.
I wouldn't include Kayky myself anyway but we're seeing the result of long term planning now bearing fruit.

It doesn't end with the current U23s either, there's serious class all the way down the age ranges. Covid has screwed things up so much that I don't know much about the U18s for instance but we do have the likes of Alfie Harrison (U16s?) to look forward to. If his development has followed the hoped for path then he would challenge Foden or McAtee as best player at the club.

The future is Blue.

What is more important than how good a prospect they are is if a position / opportunity comes up. Wilson Esbrand has that opportunity and I'd love to see him given a chance, Mbete might be a better player - but realistically we will always have 4 senior CBs in the squad and even if 3 are injured someone like Fernandinho would be moved into that position. The two that have a clear chance are Wilson Esbrand and Liam Delap.

Think we need to consider their pathway to the first team too. Lavia and Delap are in strong positions. If Palmer can play on the right side then perhaps he can stake a claim there as Mahrez is over 30.

I think 3 to 4 players will end up as full first team members - right now I only count foden as such despite palmer and others making appearances here and there. as to who, foden, delap, mcatee and lavia would be my guess.

Many of these lads are excellent, so many at the one time.
It will all depend on luck and opportunity.
Zinchenko is a case in point. Probably no better, if at all, when he was their age.
An opening in the squad appeared and he got a few runs and became a full time squad member.
If we continue to buy in players then there are very few of these that will play with us.
If you include some of the lads on loan, they could form a quite capable team.
I can envisage the " selling with a buyback clause" becoming very popular.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.