How many of our academy will be in the first team in 2-3 years time?

I genuinely think there’s too many to say how many will make it. Before you had Foden, Sancho and Brahim, they were like the only three so it was between them. Then Garcia was kinda on his own as well. But now we have Delap, McAtee, Palmer, Lavia, Mbete, Doyle, Doyle, THB, Wilson Esbrand, Borges, Lewis, O’Reilly, Bobb who are all standouts. The first 5 are the most prominent at the moment. But there’s also a pathway for some of the other names. I’d be disappointed if less than 3 didn’t make it if I was honest.

How exciting to be a City fan. Them first four you mentioned are our best hopes of making it. The other lads are slightly younger. Looking forward to Borges to get fit again, I’m assuming he is still injured?

What is more important than how good a prospect they are is if a position / opportunity comes up. Wilson Esbrand has that opportunity and I'd love to see him given a chance, Mbete might be a better player - but realistically we will always have 4 senior CBs in the squad and even if 3 are injured someone like Fernandinho would be moved into that position. The two that have a clear chance are Wilson Esbrand and Liam Delap.
Lavia has an equally good if not better chance with Fern leaving end of season.

Without mentioning Tommy Doyle or Kayke, thats a good list of nine or so players with the potential to be 1st team squad players. Not all of them will make it but those that don't will still have a great football career somewhere and earn the Club decent money. The academy really is starting to mature into something special.
Didn`t include Kayky nor Couto, as I wouldn`t call them academy players. I could maybe have mentioned Bazunu, but I could see Ederson doing another 7-8 seasons here, and I think Bazunu`s simply too good to sit on our bench and will move on

I genuinely think there’s too many to say how many will make it. Before you had Foden, Sancho and Brahim, they were like the only three so it was between them. Then Garcia was kinda on his own as well. But now we have Delap, McAtee, Palmer, Lavia, Mbete, Doyle, Doyle, THB, Wilson Esbrand, Borges, Lewis, O’Reilly, Bobb who are all standouts. The first 5 are the most prominent at the moment. But there’s also a pathway for some of the other names. I’d be disappointed if less than 3 didn’t make it if I was honest.
In a dream scenario, all those listed could get into the team over the next 5 years as others move on.

Lavia has an equally good if not better chance with Fern leaving end of season.
Fern is a bit of a one off. He can play in most positions on the pitch and plays in that deeper midfield role as its absolutely key to the way we play. There is no way we substitute that role in the squad for a youth player. Even though Lavia looks exactly like that sort of player. We have Gundo, Rodry and KDB and would no doubt sign some one else if there was any suggestion that we need more midfielders.

On the other hand we never sign left backs and seem to just bumble along with whatever we have. The route into the 1st team as a LB could not be easier.

Jadon Sancho has made a lot of money, especially from his £75m move from Dortmund but has struggled to find his feet at United in the PL and has since barely figured for England. In contrast, Phil is a City and England regular with lots of medals and more to follow.

Pep has a good eye for young players. Phil has learned his trade and is continuing to develop whilst leaving Sancho stagnating behind.

Pep's been really clear that he'd have loved Sancho to stay. They tried everything they could to get him to stay. He chose first team football over a bigger contract at City.

Stop trying to rewrite history and just let the Sancho thing die.

And definitely don't write bullshit like Sancho has barely featured for England when he's got 2x as many caps as Phil and claiming anyone has stagnated at a club 5 games after a transfer (including an injury) is embarrassing whether it's a United player or not.

Pep's been really clear that he'd have loved Sancho to stay. They tried everything they could to get him to stay. He chose first team football over a bigger contract at City.

And definitely don't write bullshit like Sancho has barely featured for England when he's got 2x as many caps as Phil and claiming anyone has stagnated at a club 5 games after a transfer (including an injury) is embarrassing whether it's a United player or not.
I think you missed the point of my post. Sancho was a shooting star whose light has dimmed, for what-ever reasons. He has potential but would he get in the City side?

You may have seen him play more than me and clearly United were prepared to pay a hefty fee for his services. He is a good player but has much to learn and hasnt shown enough for me.

My point is that in my opinion he would now be a better player had he stayed under Pep.
Instead he chose the experience of playing over growing and developing into the game when still young. That includes mental strength as well as skills. A winning mentality comes from consistently winning things.

Sancho chose his path and Pep was clear in not being interested in getting him back.
He has done well but will have to do better to catch Phil who took a different route and is now a standout City regular. Time will tell if Sancho realises his potential but that is a lot of money for work in progress.

What he does at United is not my concern and no longer of concern to MCFC. I am more interested in the new crop of City youngsters coming through. The future is looking good as the Wycombe game showed.

Fern is a bit of a one off. He can play in most positions on the pitch and plays in that deeper midfield role as its absolutely key to the way we play. There is no way we substitute that role in the squad for a youth player. Even though Lavia looks exactly like that sort of player. We have Gundo, Rodry and KDB and would no doubt sign some one else if there was any suggestion that we need more midfielders.

On the other hand we never sign left backs and seem to just bumble along with whatever we have. The route into the 1st team as a LB could not be easier.
If we sign a DM, I'm pretty sure Lavia will do a Sancho (and he should imo). He's really good and City will trust him I believe. Added bonus that he seems to already know what Pep expects from one of the most difficult positions in his team and it will take any other player a season to get it. I think we will invest that season on Lavia instead which will also prepare him physically for it.
I would really love JWE(or any youth player for that matter) to make it to first team. But who knows, may be we will actually buy an LB next window because Mendy is not coming back imo.

A stepping stone to get a massive contract at the scum where no one else would offer anywhere near those figures! Fair do’s to the kid but he is looking average at the moment! But being at the scum all you need is 2 good games a season the media will drool over it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.