How many players short of the perfect squad

Perfect? No such thing in reality but I'll say 5. But that would only last for x amount of time, a squad is a constantly evolving side. However, if we could sign 2 top class young DMs, a winger who can play upfront, a quality left back and a ball-playing centre-back we'd be fully stocked and set in every position.

I don't think we NEED all of these, maybe 2/3 and then look at improving youth players.

1. GK - Rulli - Bravo has done ok this season but he will be 35 in April. Would like Gunn but he probably needs to be a starter somewhere for a while longer. We have a 12m buyback on Rulli.
  2. RB - (Maffeo) - Need a Backup RB and I do believe we need an academy player to be a genuine part of the squad. Luckily for us Maffeo is a gem, I don't think Danilo is as good and rumours are he's unhappy and will probably leave in the summer.
  3. DM - Fabinho - I know we're targeting Fred but the amount of headers Dinho wins (3 per 90) makes me a bit hesitant compared to Fabinho. Fabinho wins 67% compared to 56% Dinho. Fred has won 0 headers in 1000 mins (EL 16/17 + CL 17/18 - the only stats I can find)
  4. FW - Dybala - Someone who offers something different to the FW we currently have - dribbling, flair, longshots. Mahrez, Malcom cheaper options.

Whoever the actual players are that we bring in in the summer, anyone concerned about us only targeting a couple of players should remember we also have Mendy.
"X will be like a new signing" is a laughable cliche these days, mostly thanks to Wenger, but Mendy really will be like a new signing.

1. Cover at left & right back (Hopefully Maffeo will be recalled to fill one of those spots) Danilo clearly not up to the job

2. Quality DM to cover for Dinho (Hopefully Fred)

3. Strong running, attacking, aggressive CM (in the younger Yaya mould, to give Kev’s legs the occasional rest when needed (Maybe Zinchenko could be used in that role, once Mendy is back.

4. And finally, (Plan B), A big target man type striker, who is good in the air & can knock a few parked buses out of the way, if and when the occasion requires.

Last edited:
  1. GK - Rulli - Bravo has done ok this season but he will be 35 in April. Would like Gunn but he probably needs to be a starter somewhere for a while longer. We have a 12m buyback on Rulli.
  2. RB - (Maffeo) - Need a Backup RB and I do believe we need an academy player to be a genuine part of the squad. Luckily for us Maffeo is a gem, I don't think Danilo is as good and rumours are he's unhappy and will probably leave in the summer.
  3. DM - Fabinho - I know we're targeting Fred but the amount of headers Dinho wins (3 per 90) makes me a bit hesitant compared to Fabinho. Fabinho wins 67% compared to 56% Dinho. Fred has won 0 headers in 1000 mins (EL 16/17 + CL 17/18 - the only stats I can find)
  4. FW - Dybala - Someone who offers something different to the FW we currently have - dribbling, flair, longshots. Mahrez, Malcom cheaper options.
Whoever the actual players are that we bring in in the summer, anyone concerned about us only targeting a couple of players should remember we also have Mendy.
"X will be like a new signing" is a laughable cliche these days, mostly thanks to Wenger, but Mendy really will be like a new signing.

Agreed on each of your points. At defensive midfield, I think Fred, Fabinho and Weigl are all good options - wouldn't get too hung up on their header %s..only players I would move along in the summer are Yaya, Danilo and Bravo.

I think a lot of people on this thread are underestimating how much versatility and cover our younger players can bring. Granted, only 4 or 5 are at the required level now, but looking towards the next 2/3 seasons I think all of the following players can play a role:

Zinchenko - LB, LWB, LW and CM
Diaz - LW and CAM
Foden - LW, CAM and RW
Tosin - CB
Maffeo - RB, RWB
Angelino - LB, LWB
Roberts - LW, RW
Nmecha - FW
Aleix Garcia - CM, CDM
Celina - CAM, RW
Manu Garcia - CM, CAM
Enes Unal - ST

Kane

Sane Hazard

KDB Silva

Fernandinho

Mendy Laporte Stones or Otta Walker

Ederson.

So for me just add Kane and Hazard.
So probably 400 million on 2 players and very doubtful either would be sold to us. Got to be realistic in our targets.

What we could do with is someone on a Messi/Ronaldo in their primes level.

Someone who takes it to the next level with 40/50 goals a season.

Hopefully one we have now becomes that.

So probably 400 million on 2 players and very doubtful either would be sold to us. Got to be realistic in our targets.

This isn't the transfer rumours thread.

I read the title - How many players for the perfect squad.

Couldn’t be bothered doing the whole squad so i just added 2 players that i think would make us the world’s best 11.

We obviously won’t be able to buy them both.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.