How much can we spend?

Could Pep have plans to move Sterling central in the future?
Doubt it. He's too good on the wing and plays best with a foil. An awful lot of Sterling's goals come from Jesus or Aguero pulling a centre back out of position while he uses his intelligence, timing and pace to attack the space left in behind . It would probably be harder to replace Sterling out wide than Aguero up front.

Squad list limits are the most constraining factor. FFP has various ways of looking at things but the key issue, given fees are amortised and wages just as big an issue, is to keep things sensible. One bad move stuffs you for the length of the contract.

Squad limits dictate you have to look at who would leave. If Otamendi and Fdinho fancy another year and everyone else stays fit and healthy then we could only buy a home grown player next summer.

I would think when a foreign spot comes up there is no limit beyond what we think is an acceptable price. Our next buy will likely be a CB and I don't think you need to go mad in that position as there are numerous potential targets.

When we look to replace Aguero that would be when we go spend big.
David Silva leaving will free up one ?

Striker wise we all right for this season and next. Also haven't we only spent 55m net in the last 2 summers?

Assuming Sane stays, we’ll have a front three who are generally interchangeable and whose movement and adaptability may make us more potent than finding a like-for-like replacement for Aguero. Cannot see us breaking away from the policy of signing young talent at a high but not extortionate price. The team and the system are prized above individuality, so all those fanciful threads about Neymar, Mbappe, Messi and the like should be consigned to a Unicorn sub-forum.

We should spend as much as it takes for us to look at the team and think: this year’s team is slightly better than last year’s team, and last year’s team was slightly better than the one the year before that.

I'm pretty confident we'll go balls deep for Mbappe next year. The timing will be right for us and for him I think.

Hopefully we nail down Sane and then have that front 3 and Jesus for the next 5 years with Bernardo behind them.

We could potentially lose Silva, Dinho, Otamendi, Bravo, Aguero, Sane in next couple of seasons.

Dinho wouldn't need replacing, Rodri and Gundogan will do imo. But when both David and Dinho leave, we may need to bring in someone for the depth, like Aour. Or someone like, Zinchenko or Matt Smith or Doyle steps up.

If we were genuinely looking to bring in Maguire, we are still looking at a CB most likely, a tall, physical one with decent ball skills:) We are not limited by squad rules since David leaves end of season. Downside is we may lose one of Garcia or THB.

Don't know any home grown GK option good enough for Pepball. Our youngsters would want to play regularly. So we will probably go a foreign GK.

If Sane leaves, hopefully he won't, his replacement may depend on Bernardo's position long term. So it could be a winger or a midfielder to replace him. Sancho would be my favorite :)

Kun's replacement depends on Jesus' form. If he takes over this season, it would be a versatile forward. I would like to see Richarlison.

I think a lot of our spending will come down to how Fernandinho, Foden & Douglas Luiz perform. If all goes well, I can see Fernandinho being given a further 12 months, however if age catches up with him, we'll have to see how Luiz is doing at Villa or look elsewhere.

I reckon we'll get another 2 seasons from Aguero, & I also think this will be a pivotal season for Jesus. I've faith that he'll begin to flourish into the player we know is there.

CB is a position we need to plan for. Whether those positions are filled from within, or we need to buy will depend on how our youngsters perform when called upon this season.

Yeah forgot about the Aguero situation. We will definitely be on the lookout. Think this is a huge season for Jesus, if he proves himself we will get a backup for him otherwise he would be the backup. Either way can only see us getting someone in his early 20's.

I’m not sure we’ll ever really sign ‘back up’ players. More direct competition.
Cancelo & Rodri are not here to bask up anyone.
I see a young Jesus equal or potential to be better player coming in. Or that will be the idea. Jesus has looked electric in his City outing of late.

If he has a good season, we can bring Muric back from Forest, which should allow Bravo to leave.
If he has a good season, we can bring Luiz back from Villa, which should strengthen the defensive midfield.
We’ll very likely need a top centre half, with either Otamendi or Fernandinho (both?) possibly moving elsewhere.

I have a sneaky suspicion that we’ve already got our eye on two midfielders for next year: Aouar from Lyon and perhaps Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon. On the former, I was quite surprised that nobody bought him this summer, which may have been down to Lyon not requiring more money having already sold two midfielders, but if he stays put for the season, it puts us in a strong position to bring him in next summer. On the latter, again I was surprised that both Tottenham and that lot failed to sign him, one yes but two, well that feels strange. It could be that he simply had an outstanding season last year, so I’ll watch his development this year with interest. Lots of people jumped on the ‘not interested in signing him’ statement that was attributed to the club, but I’ve also seen a variant of that in the Portuguese papers that read ‘not interested in signing him this summer’. Might be reading too much into that, of course, but if he does continue to impress, and we have our ties with Sporting Lisbon, then maybe we’ll bring him over. Both players would also fall into our category of signing: young, high quality, but unlikely to break the structures. Our midfield is already strong, granted, but with Silva going, new blood will be required and it’s an area of the team that may need freshening by next summer, and we could have 3-4 foreign spots available.

That leaves the hunt for Aguero’s replacement.No idea. :-(

May not be the automatic #2 keeper unless we are simply looking at a homegrown option. Zack Steffen I'm assuming would be in consideration to replace Bravo if he has a good season in Germany.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.