How the game has changed.

The South Americans would be fine. The pitches in Argentina and Brazil are about 15 years behind and they have a huge pool of vindictive players who didn't quite make it to Europe hacking down any kid who looks like he could be the next big thing. You watch the documentary City did on Jesus a few years ago and he didn't even play on a proper pitch until he was 15, until then it was a bumpy patch of mud and sand.

In general I think most modern players would adapt to it quickly. At the end of the day, they are much fitter, stronger and faster and better technically. That will show up on any pitch.
Yeah maybe I should have said most of the modern players.

With Joe Corrigan being booked for pacing it out. When they measured it with a tape, the spot was just where Joe had paced it to.
That incident showed just how stupid some refs are. He paced it out and was clearly 2 yards short. So Joe paced it out.....booked for dissent. Now then, its six yards to the edge of the goal area and another six to the spot, and another six to the edge of the penalty area. How difficult can it be to estimate the spot just by eye?

A lot of the old managers had the "Go out and enjoy yourselves, lads" attitude or even "You're professional footballers - you should know how to defend a corner. Don't expect me to tell you what to do." Can you imagine Pep being like that?
Yes.

The South Americans would be fine. The pitches in Argentina and Brazil are about 15 years behind and they have a huge pool of vindictive players who didn't quite make it to Europe hacking down any kid who looks like he could be the next big thing. You watch the documentary City did on Jesus a few years ago and he didn't even play on a proper pitch until he was 15, until then it was a bumpy patch of mud and sand.

In general I think most modern players would adapt to it quickly. At the end of the day, they have spent a lot more time being a professional than someone the same age from the 80s or 90s. They do a lot more training, with better coaches from a much younger age and as a result are much fitter, stronger and faster and better technically. That will show up on any pitch.
Very good point about the south American players hacking down any kid who looks as tho he might make it to Europe. .I watched a number of old vids on u tube a while back and the stick Gabriel Jesus takes is brutal..some of the challenges made me wince...a lot worse than the stuff dished out on him at Bournemouth a couple of seasons ago....and the pitches,as you say,were crap.

That incident showed just how stupid some refs are. He paced it out and was clearly 2 yards short. So Joe paced it out.....booked for dissent. Now then, its six yards to the edge of the goal area and another six to the spot, and another six to the edge of the penalty area. How difficult can it be to estimate the spot just by eye?
Referees have to assert their authority. That was clearly dissent, even though Joe was right and the referee was a pillock.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.