How well do you know your neighbours/neighbourhood ?

bluethrunthru

I have lived on this street for 23 years - there are 22 houses - there has been a general churn of occupying families plus some of us veterans. I am happy to say I am friends with the families and occupant of 19 of the houses plus I am on nodding terms with one other. The two I am not are new arrivals. I am also friends with people on adjoining streets too. I am outward going and will talk to anyone so having homes on Grimshaw Lane and Towncroft Ave in Middleton I had many friends and in 3 properties down south I was friends with a lot of neighbours.

I keep hearing about loneliness and people not knowing their neighbour and I am confused - why don't /can't people speak to other people and build a relationship ?

Whats the experience of other Bluemooners around the globe?

The problem is you can`t like everyone and that`s a fact. In France i have a few good friends, lots of aquaintances and more that I am on nodding terms with. In the UK I know a few of the neighbours, one or two I`d say are friends, but the rest are merely people I share the street with!
I`m more than happy with the friends and neighbours I have. I don`t expect everyone to like meand I certainly don`t want to force my friendship on anyone.
People can, and do, speak to other people but not everyone has the need to make deep relationships with them.

I have lived on this street for 23 years - there are 22 houses - there has been a general churn of occupying families plus some of us veterans. I am happy to say I am friends with the families and occupant of 19 of the houses plus I am on nodding terms with one other. The two I am not are new arrivals. I am also friends with people on adjoining streets too. I am outward going and will talk to anyone so having homes on Grimshaw Lane and Towncroft Ave in Middleton I had many friends and in 3 properties down south I was friends with a lot of neighbours.

I keep hearing about loneliness and people not knowing their neighbour and I am confused - why don't /can't people speak to other people and build a relationship ?

Whats the experience of other Bluemooners around the globe?
Im on good terms with both immediate neighbours and nodding acquantance with a couple of others, have a pint with one if I see him in the pub. Live at the start of a cul de sac and no reason to go any further down as its a dead end. As a kid we lived at the other end of a cul de sac so going out of the avenue had to pass everyone else's house and knew most of the street. Where you live on a street or in a block may have some bearing on interactions with neighbours, but i think people now often dont know neighbours the same way their parents generation might have. Think some of this may be down to distrust/suspicion and possibly that some ppl communicate mainly via social media.

Im on good terms with both immediate neighbours and nodding acquantance with a couple of others, have a pint with one if I see him in the pub. Live at the start of a cul de sac and no reason to go any further down as its a dead end. As a kid we lived at the other end of a cul de sac so going out of the avenue had to pass everyone else's house and knew most of the street. Where you live on a street or in a block may have some bearing on interactions with neighbours, but i think people now often dont know neighbours the same way their parents generation might have. Think some of this may be down to distrust/suspicion and possibly that some ppl communicate mainly via social media.

I live midway down a cul de sac and have lived midways up streets and at the top of a cul de sac - I guess I have always been very outward going - things like the VE Day party had us all out - socially distanced - enjoying a drink.

My nearest neighbour here is far enough away that I don't have to get to know them.
Suits me down to the ground.
I'm a very sociable person when I'm out and about but my home time is my quiet time and I love the fact I've nobody around to pester me! Haha!

We have one neighbour, their cottage is about 50m from ours. They are younger and brilliant. Into music, guys in a great band and they practice in their outbuilding, which we love to sit and listen too. We play music and sing, and we get noisier when we have family or friends visiting and drink is involved, and it always is. Neither of us bother. They come over for a drink often and you couldn't buy better people to live beside. We have more Deer neighbours than people. Don't get me wrong, they're a bunch of cunts. Swings and Roundabouts really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.