How well do you know your neighbours/neighbourhood ?

Rural communities are hard to break into. Everyone around here has known each other for years, plus we're only renting so I don't feel too bad about not knowing the neighbours so well. The lad next door is alright though. There's an old lady over the road and her son lives in land behind the house in a caravan, with an estranged wife and his two sons living two houses down. We had only been here a few months and the old ladies husband died - we made the cultural faux pas of not going to the funeral and attitudes towards us have been a little frostier since those times.

Mrs MB was born and raised in the village we live in. There is a general principle here that if you don’t have a relative named on the war memorial or at least have one pushing up the daisy’s in the grave yard your an outsider. She must be the 5 or 6 generation of her family that has lived here. My kids are automatically accepted as locals. I am tolerated because I married in. Everyone else can go and get fucked as far as I can make out.

It’s quite possible, from my experience, her son’s estranged wife is also his sister.

My neighbours are alright just nosey - mithers Mrs MB something dreadful - I don’t care either way. I think I know my neighbours names but that’s about it. All except old Colin at the bottom of the close, he is a blue so we naturally have a good old natter.

When you are kids, place means so much to you as you hang about there. For adults, it makes no odds to you, you just want to know where the nearest shop is and how close you are to work.

We've lived in a rural village for 12 years. Quite a few of the old hands spend a lot of time watching, finding things out, gathering information, and passing it around - and they know an awful lot about you without ever asking direct information-based questions. They deal exclusively with negative things. The basic premise is that newbies are untrustworthy suspicious types who are bound to be up to no good. You are 'the other', an outsider, and this attitude persists for between 10 and 15 years. And the curtain twitchers are so brazen they don't even bother with curtains - you will just see them gawping from their sitting rooms - quite rude really, but they seem to believe they have some civic duty to monitor the behaviour of other people.

But these weirdo peasant types are becoming scarce and overall the demographic is quite mixed. A few of the newbies are from urban areas who moved for a quieter existence - they are mostly sound enough.

We've lived in a rural village for 12 years. Quite a few of the old hands spend a lot of time watching, finding things out, gathering information, and passing it around - and they know an awful lot about you without ever asking direct information-based questions. They deal exclusively with negative things. The basic premise is that newbies are untrustworthy suspicious types who are bound to be up to no good. You are 'the other', an outsider, and this attitude persists for between 10 and 15 years. And the curtain twitchers are so brazen they don't even bother with curtains - you will just see them gawping from their sitting rooms - quite rude really, but they seem to believe they have some civic duty to monitor the behaviour of other people.

But these weirdo peasant types are becoming scarce and overall the demographic is quite mixed. A few of the newbies are from urban areas who moved for a quieter existence - they are mostly sound enough.

Tubbs and Edward comes to mind

Can't do fuck all around here without the old crow over the road having her head out of the door

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.