How would you rate our transfer window?

7.5, improved upfront, could of exciting kids but missing out on our main midfield target COULD bite us on the arse.

Yeah, I'd go for 7/10 too. Mahrez is a quality addition, but disappointed not to have added a defensive midfielder. In terms of how happy I am with the squad overall, I'd say 9/10. We're looking in rude health at the moment.
Agreed. I worry if ferna gets injured but other than that we've got a very good sqaud that should win the league again

Difficult window for us to get what we need. It’s going to take something special to come up for us to improve on what we’ve got,especially if clubs want north of 60m for just above average players. Our fern replacement may have to come from within because I can’t see anything remotely close to his quality become available at less than 70 or 80 mil

Some people seem slightly underwhelmed but for me there's a lot more to a transfer window than simply who you buy. I would break it down into these main components:

1) Bringing in the right players:
It's disappointing a successor for Fernandinho hasn't been identified and brought in this Summer. That said, we don't know if there's a plan further down the line and for all the complaints I've heard, not many people have put forward many suitable candidates. Gomes could end up being a real coup though.
Mahrez is definitely a great acquisition though and we brought the CM we needed in in Laporte in Jan and it'll be interesting to see if he can build a partnership with Stones.

2) Not bringing in the wrong players:
Following on from the point on Fernandinho. I'm glad we didn't panic and bring in an inferior player for the sake of it. Not buying another Fernando or Garcia was a good move. The vacancy remains open and we are in a position to go for a top class player in that position when he emerges.

3) Retaining your best players
It can't be overstated what an amazing achievement it has been to hold onto the likes of Aguero, Silva etc at the peak of their careers and more recent additions like KDB also seem very settled. It's a challenge to hold onto players from around the world with other options available to them but we seem to have a knack for keeping these players happy and settled. Look at the players Liverpool and now Chelsea have lost over the years.

4) Selling players you don't need
Many disagree but I'm happy with the fees we've gotten for the players we've moved on. We've also retained an option to bring Maffeo back so that's good business too.

All in all, it's hard to rate any window in isolation as transfers this summer weren't as vital to us as they are to other clubs as we had fewer areas to improve on. The key to our success this coming season is more tied up in maintaining our level and continuing to phase in/get the best out of the players we already acquired to take over from our older players e.g Bernardo. We also need to see a bit more from Jesus I think, but the potential is clearly there.

Anyway, I'm giving us a solid 7.5.

The other thing to consider is no one was talking about the Freds of this world a year ago. He got noticed in the champions league thanks to his performances. They’ll be other targets to consider come January.

8/10, shame we didn't get Jorginho but good that we didn't panic and gum up the squad with a panic buy or makeweight.

6/10

Mahrez a superb signing (hopefully!)

Could have done with a midfielder to cover then slowly replace Fern, but I think Delph may step up to the plate.

Very solid. We didn't make the mistake of signing someone who doesn't really want to play with us (ie Jorghino) or the mistake of getting someone who will not improve the squad. This has been our undoing in the past. We should only go for proven European/world class players or those with huge future potential. The days of stop-gaps are over for City.

8/10

Brought in a truly, exceptional player in Mahrez. Shame we didn't get our other main target but there's a level required here at City. I'm glad we didn't overpay for someone that wouldn't be a true upgrade. I think the club revisits the market in January for the MF position since I doubt the club wants Ferna running on fumes late in the season. I have faith that between Gundogan, Delph, Zinchenko (if he stays), Gomes and Stones (I'd have Luiz here but work permit issue), we have enough depth to cover Ferna in league and cup games against below average competition.

Although they are youth additions, I think we got 5 star youth prospects from Spain (Bernabe), France (Gomes), Netherlands (Braaf) and England (Knight). The Australian lad as well but who knows if he'll ever play for City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.