HR / Recruitment

sboroMCFC

Does anyone know of a good way of getting into this industry? I've got a Law degree but not sure whether I fancy splashing out on the £10,000 for Law School so looking at other career options. All the HR/Recruitment jobs I've looked at want experience in HR and I don't have any! Any ideas?! Cheers.

My best mate's missus is in HR as a head hunter, and she can't stop bleating about 'how' hard it is to fill jobs due to a lack of experience. Pay someone to write you a gleaming CV and then lie through your teeth to get a foot in the door!

If you are serious about getting into recruitment then the best advice I can give you is:-
1. sell your soul to the devil
2. sell your granny
3. sell any remaining shred of self-respect you may have

If you do all three you automatically qualify for a degree in all manner of things 'recruitment'.

Should you decide to accept this advice then I reserve the right to take a commission of 20% of your starting salary (plus benefits and car allowance) just for sending you one email!

sboroMCFC said:
Does anyone know of a good way of getting into this industry? I've got a Law degree but not sure whether I fancy splashing out on the £10,000 for Law School so looking at other career options. All the HR/Recruitment jobs I've looked at want experience in HR and I don't have any! Any ideas?! Cheers.

police??

with a law degree you may be able to get fast tracked

sboroMCFC said:

my daughter was in hr for the 1st or 2nd largest private company in the world this company is local with offices and plants in 69 different countys. she started first of all by going after uni to an employment agency i think it was reeds in altrincham. she worked for a few different company`s on short term contracts before taking up a short term contract at her present employers while covering for sick leave. they seemed to like her because they offered to buy her contract so she could work for the company full time which she still does but in a different roll. hope this is of some help

If Law is really your favourite area then it may be better to bite the bullet and go for it.

HR/Personnel is fine but it is a competitive market now. Certainly not the greatest time to be pitting yourself against those with experience. And avoid working as a recruitment adviser for employment agencies imho as they seem to have a fast turn over and it is more about "selling" than anything else.

When did you graduate? There is a new Graduate internship programme that has been brought out.

I work with a lot of recruitment agencies, to be fair there are some very professional recruitment consultants who earn very large sums of money-BUT you have to work very hard, have a thick skin, be able to sell and deal with pressure, but if you are good, I know some consultants who earn 70K a year with no education whatsoever. It is also relatively easy/cheap to set up on your own (should you wish to) further down the line.

Going into in house HR is a totally different kettle of fish. This is not commission based, you are simply matching CV's/people with jobs. It's more about knocking back agencies, being organised and knowing processes, as such at entry level the financial gains are not on the same scale.

brooklandsblue2.0 said:
I work with a lot of recruitment agencies, to be fair there are some very professional recruitment consultants who earn very large sums of money-BUT you have to work very hard, have a thick skin, be able to sell and deal with pressure, but if you are good, I know some consultants who earn 70K a year with no education whatsoever. It is also relatively easy/cheap to set up on your own (should you wish to) further down the line.

Going into in house HR is a totally different kettle of fish. This is not commission based, you are simply matching CV's/people with jobs. It's more about knocking back agencies, being organised and knowing processes, as such at entry level the financial gains are not on the same scale.

Real HR is not simple BB2. It carries much more than you imply. And employment legislation is only one area that a person needs to be aware of. And it carries much more credence than a recruitment consultant.

mackenzie said:
brooklandsblue2.0 said:

Real HR is not simple BB2. It carries much more than you imply. And employment legislation is only one area that a person needs to be aware of. And it carries much more credence than a recruitment consultant.

It certainly does, I don't think I said that HR was simple. HR has more credence but I prefer money to credence and love them or hate them some rec cons make serious money.

I also find that HR Assistants/Officers (more junior roles) are pretty incompetent.

brooklandsblue2.0 said:
mackenzie said:

It certainly does, I don't think I said that HR was simple. HR has more credence but I prefer money to credence and love them or hate them some rec cons make serious money.

I also find that HR Assistants/Officers (more junior roles) are pretty incompetent.

A bit of a generalisation there imo. Some I have had experience with have been hard working and very helpful.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.