HR/Work issue

2. You mentioned the increase in pay of £1000 for hitting targets etc. Does this exceed the 2% annual pay increase? You'd expect that if it doesn't, then you are entitled to an uplift that then reflects the 2% that the rest of the business has had.

Always be careful with £ pay increases, as the cash differentials will likely be worse off than those that are taking a % increase, which could be the case here.

Just doing a bit of quick maths, you'd only be better off taking the 2% pay increase as opposed to the £1000 if you were on less than £50,000 prior to the uplift

Kickers are part and parcel of our business from sales through to logistic positions like my own and they have nothing to do with annual cost of living rises or so I thought. I was fucked over in the first year as they claimed my promotion was my pay rise despite me saying no, my promotion and subsequent salary was due to me doing a very different role with far more responsibility.

The team I manage had been performing poorly before my arrival and my manager approached me a few months into my role and offered me a kicker. 3 months of hitting key KPI’s in return for a £1000 pay increase. Again, something fairly common within the company across many roles.

To then lose out on a cost of living rise having worked my arse off and performed is a hard one to swallow for a second time around and I’m fucked off to say the least.

It isn’t about the money, it’s the principle of watching many around me who have neither worked or performed as I have suddenly either catch up to me by 2% or go in front of me.

I have informed my manager today I will be starting an official grievance procedure on Monday and it will go to my Group HR manager and we shall see what transpires.

Have you got any further context? These people that got 6%, how does that compare to your £1000 in % terms?

These are hourly paid staff mate, many of whom work under me and I have zero issue in what they got.

My issue is with the 2% awarded across the board to Salaried staff.

The key issue is ensuring that the cash differentials between grades are kept to at least the same levels as they always have been.

When % increase is applied, those cash differentials between grades will increase, but they shouldn't be decreasing, as that just causes even more issues with retention of skilled level managers.

Certainly one to have out with HR, as they may just not be aware of the issues until its in their face.

Part of what we do is look at cash differentials when offering pay deals, as one of the risks is that the management > ops staff differential significantly decreases

It's easier to offer % increase as it largely keeps everyone happy. Once you start offering £ increases across different grades, it can cause allsorts of bother

I am glad that you got a good result after raising a grievance. I did this earlier this year and did not get such a good result. The grievance investigation was a complete whitewash so I raised an appeal in which I tore it to pieces and threatened to go to an employment tribunal.
I have found out that the company intend to find some way of dismissing me if I do that.
Currently looking for another job but the current place does suit me as it is local and allows me to not spend much time commuting.
I am at the stage where I am wondering whether taking a stand against their dodgy behaviour was worthwhile.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.