Messi compared to Maradona

Fairly certain he's got two feet.
2200.jpg
Some egregious hairstyles in that photo.

Where Napoli was when he went there and they the league against all odds. Its like when we bought Kinkgladze and him single handedly turning the mentality of the club players around to being winners and winning the league! So still close call for me.
Maradona dragged Napoli to 2 league titles against almost overwhelming odds. And the UEFA Cup. That was topped only by what he did in 1986, carrying a very, very ordinary Argentina to World Cup Victory. Something Messi could only dream of. Messi isn't fit to tie his laces.
Just to clarify, Messi is an outstanding player, one of the best ever. But lightyears behind Maradona. Don't forget too, that Maradona did what he did at Napoli whilst smashed off his bonce!

Maradona dragged Napoli to 2 league titles against almost overwhelming odds. And the UEFA Cup. That was topped only by what he did in 1986, carrying a very, very ordinary Argentina to World Cup Victory. Something Messi could only dream of. Messi isn't fit to tie his laces.
Just to clarify, Messi is an outstanding player, one of the best ever. But lightyears behind Maradona. Don't forget too, that Maradona did what he did at Napoli whilst smashed off his bonce!
Very, very ordinary is OTT. They were decent without being great.

Very hard to compare people crom different eras. You can compare Messi and Ronaldo Federer to Djokovic and Nadal . it is more difficult to compare Marquez to Rossi , Lebron to Jordan or Senna to Hamilton as they were not competing at their highest levels at the same time . I saw Maradona play several times but only saw Messi live twice. Maradona seemed to have more presence about about him. He definitely had more baggage but had an aura about him and did carry Napoli. The Maradona film out recently showed his dealings with the Mafia and drug issues. Messi is certainy without doubt the greatest this century but not in Maradonas class. I think Argentinians feel the same way

I wonder how Messi would be if he shoved an 8 ball up his beak before each game?

Maradona was (unlike Messi) ridiculously one-footed and (unlike Messi) only intermittently brilliant throughout his career.

Maradona simply did not deliver the goods throughout his career, but when he was on top of his game, like much of his time at Napoli and the ‘86 Workd Cup, then quite possibly the greatest footballer ever. Just wasn’t on top of his game consistently enough to be described ‘the greatest’.

For me, the greatest has to play with a high degree of consistency for the vast majority of their career.

I’ve also got a thing about someone so one-footed being called the greatest, but that’s my idiosyncrasy to bear.

Peter Reid's ring is still sore from that goal in 86.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.