I preferred it when we were sh1t

JOGAMIGMOG

Team supported
Manchester City, England and Levante Union Deportiva
I used to hear Blues coming out with that line from time to time. They were usually the ones who only ever went a couple of times a season anyway, not proper fans. It was as if it was an excuse to justify their laziness in not going to games and the fact that they ALWAYS preferred holding hands with the Mrs rather than going to the match anyway - even when we were shit. The thing is, it’s a shit excuse. I’m not having it that any supporter of Manchester City truly believes this; It’s like wishing you still had to get off your arse to turn the telly over. These days you don’t hear it as much as it’s becoming harder to justify this belief with each trophy that’s added to the honours’ board.
But I am as nostalgic as the next man and the days of my youth spent standing on the Kippax in the 80’s was magical. So too the match day experience and the feeling of love and passion I had for City was arguably greater back then when we had to shout to urge the team on rather than just sit back and watch and purr at the delights we see these days.
This brings me back to the title of the thread. I hated being shit and getting relegated. I hated being the butt of Utd fans’ jokes. I hated that ticking banner. In fact I hated them lot from Stretford full stop - I still do. I would have given ANYTHING to have lived for the day when they finally got put back in their box by us. Now that day has long gone! We’ve p1ssed on their chips big time and won everything there is to win in England many times over. The day we beat them at Wembley was one of the greatest days of my life as it felt that we had finally put behind us all those years of shit and could build a winning mentality again. We did. Since then it’s been the stuff of dreams and if anyone ever says they preferred it back when that ticking banner was a reality, back when Ged Brannan was in our midfield and Alan Ball was telling us to run the clock down in a 2-2 draw when we needed a win to stay up then they seriously do need a slap.

I definitely did not prefer it when we were shit. No chance. Being the top dogs feels amazing.

IMO it's a line used by opposition supporters to play down, deflect, and delegitimise our success - mostly Rags.

I used to hear Blues coming out with that line from time to time. They were usually the ones who only ever went a couple of times a season anyway, not proper fans. It was as if it was an excuse to justify their laziness in not going to games and the fact that they ALWAYS preferred holding hands with the Mrs rather than going to the match anyway - even when we were shit. The thing is, it’s a shit excuse. I’m not having it that any supporter of Manchester City truly believes this; It’s like wishing you still had to get off your arse to turn the telly over. These days you don’t hear it as much as it’s becoming harder to justify this belief with each trophy that’s added to the honours’ board.
But I am as nostalgic as the next man and the days of my youth spent standing on the Kippax in the 80’s was magical. So too the match day experience and the feeling of love and passion I had for City was arguably greater back then when we had to shout to urge the team on rather than just sit back and watch and purr at the delights we see these days.
This brings me back to the title of the thread. I hated being shit and getting relegated. I hated being the butt of Utd fans’ jokes. I hated that ticking banner. In fact I hated them lot from Stretford full stop - I still do. I would have given ANYTHING to have lived for the day when they finally got put back in their box by us. Now that day has long gone! We’ve p1ssed on their chips big time and won everything there is to win in England many times over. The day we beat them at Wembley was one of the greatest days of my life as it felt that we had finally put behind us all those years of shit and could build a winning mentality again. We did. Since then it’s been the stuff of dreams and if anyone ever says they preferred it back when that ticking banner was a reality, back when Ged Brannan was in our midfield and Alan Ball was telling us to run the clock down in a 2-2 draw when we needed a win to stay up then they seriously do need a slap.
Totally agree (except for the slap bit!) I must say though I have only met one blue who ever said that to me and I never understood his reasoning.

I have loved being a city supporter, in some respects the hard times were enjoyable as well, I guess it was the dream of one day it will all fall into place for us and then it did! I wouldn’t change one bit of it because how can anyone truly enjoy the good times without experiencing the bad times?

I think that's what set us apart from other high profile fan bases. We have genuinely suffered , we've been awful whilst our local neighbours rubbed it in our faces for over 20 years. But now the times have changed. We have cemented ourselves as quite possibly the greatest team this country as ever seen., and I Love it

Totally agree (except for the slap bit!) I must say though I have only met one blue who ever said that to me and I never understood his reasoning.

I have loved being a city supporter, in some respects the hard times were enjoyable as well, I guess it was the dream of one day it will all fall into place for us and then it did! I wouldn’t change one bit of it because how can anyone truly enjoy the good times without experiencing the bad times?
It was merely a ‘metaphorical’ slap! :)

To go from where we were to where we are now has been an amazing ride and I'm more than happy to have been along for the ride. I'm just glad that I probably won't live long enough for our fanbase to become as insufferable as the Dippers 'n Rags. Those that have only known the good times will turn us into that eventually I fear especially with social media around to help it on its way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.