I preferred it when we were sh1t

To go from where we were to where we are now has been an amazing ride and I'm more than happy to have been along for the ride. I'm just glad that I probably won't live long enough for our fanbase to become as insufferable as the Dippers 'n Rags. Those that have only known the good times will turn us into that eventually I fear especially with social media around to help it on its way.
Yes I fear that too. Good point.

I've heard a couple of mates say it, and one one level I get it. When we were crap there wasn't the same level of pressure that I now feel. In the darker days expectation was much lower - any sort of a win was welcomed.

These days every single game feels like a 'must win' and I'm actually a lot more tense watching us. Bear in mind that 'Cityitis' is still prevalent amongst some of us older fans. Expect the worst and anything else is a bonus !

Would I want to go back - F**k off. I couldn't even begin to imagine the type and style of football we've played these past few years. To sum up, back in the bad old days if we got beat, I'd just get pissed and shrug it off. Nowadays I'm feeling so pressured I consume prodigious amounts well in advance of any game, just to calm my nerves.

Actually we're fecking brilliant and I'm just blaming City for the fact that I'm a pisshead !

As a kid at school in the late 70s and 80s , Monday morning were a nightmare, the usual defeat on a Saturday and the embarrassing cup exits against lower league teams.

If anyone wants to go back to those dark days, they need serious help.

And also another reason to maintain this incredible run of titles and never accept second best.

I used to hear Blues coming out with that line from time to time. They were usually the ones who only ever went a couple of times a season anyway, not proper fans.
But I am as nostalgic as the next man and the days of my youth spent standing on the Kippax in the 80’s was magical. So too the match day experience and the feeling of love and passion I had for City was arguably greater back then when we had to shout to urge the team on rather than just sit back and watch
Fucking hell make your mind up

I'm sometimes nostalgic for that time in my life but not for the actual football although it was a large part of the overall package. Going with my lads when they were small, for example.

Some of the crowd I used to go with have passed away, including the most beautiful girl I ever knew, some have drifted away and some, as they have got older, have become avid armchair fans. Being shit was of its time and, thankfully, all things change and that time has passed.

I dunno, think there is a ring of truth to what the prof says in here

I love this last decade or so and being successful, but I don't feel I need us to be to enjoy supporting the club, if it went tits up and we went back to being what we were, I think I could live with it, whether later generations who have only known success and trophies will be the same, I doubt it.

I am not saying I prefered it btw, it was shite a lot of the time football wise it was rotten.

But then the football is only part of it, it's the day out, the meeting of mates/family etc, that aspect has never changed whether shite or great though.

Last edited:
I'm glad for the journey we've been on visiting some grounds and places around the country that helped emphasise that we are all mortal and nobody is automatically deserving of anything. Once you get through the plastic united fans in these places you usually find true footy fans.

You learn to roll with the punches, but I don't miss it. It just makes the successes sweeter.

When we lost the derby a couple of years back some gloating united fan said he bets it must hurt. But when you've been pissed wet though at bury, barely able to celebrate an equaliser with enthusiasm, out fought by Mansfield or hoping that Shrewsbury's striker may sign for you (and no offence meant, it's just world away from where we are now), then you have perspective.

United fans don't know the meaning of true hurt footballing wise, they have proven they haven't the stomach for it, which is why when we win a derby they scuttle off home from the pub before the final whistle. And I am proud of that, that we've seen the bad times and stayed, laughed and still somehow hoped, dared to come back again.

No history? Bought success! Undeserved? Fans and journalists who chat this tripe at us only show themselves up to be ignorant oxygen stealers. We've been to footballing hell, danced with the devil, claws our way back, fell a few times, dusted ourselves off and gone again. Then when, as Klopp may say, God reached out his hand to Manchester City, we took it and rose above the rest. Now we look down from on high, and they can suck my balls.

I think growing up in the 80s and going to watch city should of carried a health warning for depression but I wouldn't have had it any other way,I started going when I was 12 in 79 and first match was against Palace and we lost I think but I was hooked after 90 mins of mediocrity...it was like a drug and couldn't wait till the next game,Friday night I could never sleep and just loved the buzz of walking up the open bit of the Kippax steps,we lost plenty and to some lower division sides(Halifax in cup)but it never changed my love for city in fact it made me more stoic and proud...use to get loads of shit but just told them to fuck off,I knew one day in my heart we would win stuff...I think the grounding of us being shit taught me never take city for granted and love them as much as I can and I still think if we are winning 3-0 we need another one just to make sure...Great days and made me the person I am and I will never forget them...loved the days we where bobbins because I appreciate what we have done in last 10 yrs....things have changed some good some bad but my love for city will always be in my heart......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.