I should have....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JULES, 22 Jul 2013.

1. JULES

JULES

after reading the thread on the mosquito bomber it reminded me of something that happened to.
    in the 80`s I lived on jersey and I worked nights specially so I could surf in the daytime, tides permitting. Every year on the island they have liberation day, don't know if any of you guys have seen it? but they have a celebration and a flyover by spitfires, hurricanes a Lancaster bomber and some german aircraft, its actually quite worth watching, (they even had a Vulcan bomber and concorde). anyway, one year, I think it was the 40th anniversary, the pilots who flew the old british planes stayed at the hotel where I worked. these were great guys to talk to and at night when they had been out on the town when they came back to the hotel I would make them sandwiches and coffee. one morning they came up to the reception desk and said to me, if you fancy it today you can come up to the airport and we will show you round the aircraft, you can sit in the cockpit of the planes and have a wander around the Lancaster bomber if you like. I said thanks guys but there is some really good surf today and I don't want to miss it. idiot or what? I could have dined out on that for years

2. dazdon

dazdon

I'm sure they enjoyed the fact you were interested and listened to them.

What a lucky sod living on Jersey.

3. robmartini

robmartini

Gone to specsavers.

ADVERTISEMENT

4. urban genie

urban genie

Liberation days airshow is always great lived in jersey from 96-05 and never missed one used to have the parade military vehicles on display at first tower leading up to the 9th. I was also fortunate to work at the pomme d'or hotel so could get a good view of the events the 60th anniversary was cool we were right next to the balcony where they re-enacted the liberation, went to the underground hospital one year on the day was amazing

5. JULES

JULES

I got sacked from there ! and the grand .

6. Tourist since 1971

Tourist since 1971

Quite understand what you did. There you are with the one chance in your life to experience getting up close and personal to one of the most spectacular and iconic objects in British history, but luckily realising that there are a few waves on the beach (which might not happen again till tomorrow). Excellent judgement call. I think we're all behind your decision and not the slightest bit jealous.

Actually I am sure you do regret it. I am lucky enough to have been inside the Lanc and got a photo of me in the rear gun turret. It happened in 1978 when I did my Duke Of Edinburgh expedition for Silver - we were air cadets and we cycled for 4 days round air bases in Lincolnshire and got access to Cranwell, Waddington (Vulcans), Binbrook (Lightnings) and Coningsby (Phantoms and also where the BoB flight were then). When we were at Coningsby they took us to the BoB hanger where the Lanc was being serviced together with a few Spitfires. The inside of the Lanc is scarily small - especially getting down to the turret. One of the best few days I reckon I ever had - 4 days cycling and camping with your mates who all loved aircraft. Magic.

7. robmartini

robmartini

The salad, but fuck it I'm avin a burger.