Ian Curtis - 40 years ago today

I wasn’t a Joy Division fan until 1983 when I discovered them on the back of my love for New Order. Strangely, apart from a couple of blokes who stood grumpily at the back of New Order gigs with their arms folded, nobody really cared about them then. It’s been bizarre to see the legend and legacy just grow and grow through the decades, particularly over the last few years.

What a sad death, but what a legacy he left.

Their albums were critically acclaimed at the time (apart from Rolling Stone, which has a history of getting it wrong) so I’m not sure what you mean

Their albums were critically acclaimed at the time (apart from Rolling Stone, which has a history of getting it wrong) so I’m not sure what you mean

Correct. The NME took it upon itself to blow their trumpet from early on. Tbh, it was mainly because of the NME that I thought, “O.k, I'd better take a listen to this”. I remember that listening to Unknown Pleasures the first time was like being subjected to some kind of sorcery. I didn't even know if I liked it, frankly.

We've got some cool fans, haven't we? Paul Morley, rock journalist and author of The North (and Almost Everything In It) is an avowed blue.I've always had the strong impression that the fine playwright Trevor Griffiths is also a blue (there's a reference to Colin Bell in Comedians that could only come from an insider), but I've never been able to verify that.
I will admit that, out of sheer prejudice, I've never listened to Mick Hucknall's music. Objectively — is it any good?
Always liked listening to Morley whenever he popped up on telly to give his incredibly articulate opinion on something, never knew he was a blue - just found this little nugget by him

https://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/fans/CityOfLostSouls.aspx

Of course they were. But by the eighties, whilst they weren’t forgotten, they’d faded from view, not least because New Order ignored their legacy. They weren’t seen as a cult band, or anything like that, like bands like The Doors were. They were almost forgotten.

Of course they were. But by the eighties, whilst they weren’t forgotten, they’d faded from view, not least because New Order ignored their legacy. They weren’t seen as a cult band, or anything like that, like bands like The Doors were. They were almost forgotten.

Their influence was felt with gothic rock and then in the late 90’s and 00’s bands like Interpol, Editors and others put them back on the map. So I suppose the influence was far reaching and the band was again relevant. But I see what you mean.

I used to go to clubs In the mid 90’s and they were always on the playlist so they never really went anywhere for me.

Their influence was felt with gothic rock and then in the late 90’s and 00’s bands like Interpol, Editors and others put them back on the map. So I suppose the influence was far reaching and the band was again relevant. But I see what you mean.

I used to go to clubs In the mid 90’s and they were always on the playlist so they never really went anywhere for me.
Their influence was with Gothic Punk...
Not Gothic Rock. ,imo
Ie very early Sisters of Mercy. .Body Electric Damage Done ,Andrenochome..All Gothic Punk tracks clearly influnced by JD.
Sisters of course metamorphised into a Rock band in later years...
Their early classic work came straight off the back of Punk.

Their influence was with Gothic Punk...
Not Gothic Rock. ,imo
Ie very early Sisters of Mercy. .Body Electric Damage Done ,Andrenochome..All Gothic Punk tracks clearly influnced by JD.
Sisters of course metamorphised into a Rock band in later years...
Their early classic work came straight off the back of Punk.

I suppose post punk is neither punk. It has no real connection sound wise, in fact I’d say it’s polar opposite, but influenced by it like you say. (Sounds weird I know!)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.