Ian Curtis - 40 years ago today

We've got some cool fans, haven't we? Paul Morley, rock journalist and author of The North (and Almost Everything In It) is an avowed blue.I've always had the strong impression that the fine playwright Trevor Griffiths is also a blue (there's a reference to Colin Bell in Comedians that could only come from an insider), but I've never been able to verify that.
I will admit that, out of sheer prejudice, I've never listened to Mick Hucknall's music. Objectively — is it any good?

I met Morley when the book came out and told him he should have put Sergio's goal v QPR on the cover. He said it was a 'very Manchester moment'
In one of his other books 'Nothing' (which is mostly about his father's suicide) he mentions being on a packed noisy bus coming from a City game and his dad telling the whole top deck to shut up

I suppose post punk is neither punk. It has no real connection sound wise, in fact I’d say it’s polar opposite, but influenced by it like you say. (Sounds weird I know!)
Its tricky...
Basically post punk is 'New Wave'
If we are accepting that Punk broke a/the mould....everything that came after Punk could comfortably be described as New Wave..which it was...
FWIW....Joy Division..and very early New Order ..come within my fav era of music ...i call it' The Golden Era'
1978-1982..after that,nothing really ..really matters.
Each to their own,of course but across the board. Japan Bauhaus,Yazoo,Joy Division Alien Sex Fiend ,Siouxsie,Cabaret Volataire,Virgin Prunes,Sisters,Play Dead,The Jam,B -Movie ,Soft Cell Numan,Visage , Human League ,Xmal Deutchsland,Sex Gang Children, Cocteau twins etc etc emereged.....all on the back of Punk..therefore Post -Punk.New wave....Gothic Punk...
Whatever..a Great time for music.,imo.

Its tricky...
Basically post punk is 'New Wave'
If we are accepting that Punk broke a/the mould....everything that came after Punk could comfortably be described as New Wave..which it was...
FWIW....Joy Division..and very early New Order ..come within my fav era of music ...i call it' The Golden Era'
1978-1982..after that,nothing really ..really matters.
Each to their own,of course but across the board. Japan Bauhaus,Yazoo,Joy Division Alien Sex Fiend ,Siouxsie,Cabaret Volataire,Virgin Prunes,Sisters,Play Dead,The Jam,B -Movie ,Soft Cell Numan,Visage , Human League ,Xmal Deutchsland,Sex Gang Children, Cocteau twins etc etc emereged.....all on the back of Punk..therefore Post -Punk.New wave....Gothic Punk...
Whatever..a Great time for music.,imo.

Hip Hop and House came straight after Punk and New Wave, both genres were far more important than new wave and have had a far bigger impact on music than either punk or new wave. Depeche Mode, New Order and The Smiths were all at their peak after 1982 as well

All you New Order fans, I admit that after Ian’s death I didn’t really bother with them. It seemed too much like listening to The Who without Keith Moon. Perhaps I should be a bit more open minded. What should I start with, in your view?
Power Corruption & Lies and then every album in release order (Low Life, Brotherhood, Technique and Republic)
The 1st album Movement I never took too...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.