Ian Wright Documentary

Been there. The memories will never leave him. Great player and a good man.

I met him at the "backstage bar" of Chris Hutton's testimonial in Dublin when I was early 20s and I offered to buy him a Gunness. He refused and I insisted saying it'd be a claim to fame some day. And here we are.

Imagine had he refused again? I'd not be able to retell this riveting tale.

Legend.

Missed it, didn't know it was on. I genuinely like the guy, have done since his playing days, a hard but fair pro. His punditry is also well balanced and an almost joy to watch. He once spoke very highly of one of his teachers at school and how he channeled his problems to better use on the football field, was either football or jail.....brought a tear to my eye.....Nice bloke.

Mr Pidgen! I didn't watch it last night so don't know if he got a mention but yeh that video of him meeting him again in the stand at Highbury is not one to watch in public!

Mr Pidgen! I didn't watch it last night so don't know if he got a mention but yeh that video of him meeting him again in the stand at Highbury is not one to watch in public!

Yes they showed that clip (fantastic) and they showed the plaque that is now on the school wall - acknowledging Mr Pidgen's services as a teacher, football coach and human being....

He's done well not to end up as an alcoholic or druggie
This shit can really destroy a person for life

Wright's an ok guy. Nothing brilliant about him as a pundit, imo (no better nor worse than the rest) but he's a bloke I'd like to have a pint with. I will definitely try to catch this.
Along similar lines. Good interview between Louis Theroux and Troy Deeney on BBC radio which can still be caught, I believe. Very difficult upbringing. His dad was a drug dealer, but not particularly violent (unless he had to be…)

He talked about being made to stand facing the wall while MOTD was on... recounting it you could feel the lasting pain the abuse has caused him. Both his mother and his step father beat him and bullied him very badly.
Just watching it now - what sounds like a bit of a trivial 'discipline' even though it didn't sound as though he had done anything to warrant any is plainly horrible (especially back then when it would have been one showing a week and probably little to no other football for him to watch).

Must have been very tough to sign up for and work on the program.........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.