If City could sign a commentary team, who would you have?

Richie Benaud was once asked what made him the best cricket commentator? He modestly denied he was but said the best advice he was given when learning the ropes was to remember he was commentating on television and not radio. Merely pointing out something that the viewers can see for themselves is wasting words. If you’ve got nothing insightful to say, say nothing. Silence is perfectly acceptable when the audience has pictures. Then when you do speak, the viewer is more likely to listen.

I often think how good it would be if all football commentators, particularly co- commentators were given those instructions on day one. Instead we’re stuck with the likes of Martin Keown robotically informing us that the shot we’ve all just watch sail over the bar was indeed a shot that sailed over the bar.

I’d say just about the only one of the current lot who does at least try and give us a bit of insightfulness that may not be obvious to a regular fan, is Jamie Carragher. Mark Lawrenson used to aswell I thought. Pity they’re two of the most unlikable blokes around.
Not relevant I know but, at mention of Richie Benaud, I couldn't resist posting this clip poking affectionate fun at the great man (and others) by the Aussie comic known as The 12th Man. Enjoy.

I have mentioned this before, but its pretty much standard practice in the US to offer a range of commentaries so on the same broadcast you will likely get home-away, Spanish, French(in some areas)and like a neutral commentary and you just change the audio feed accordingly. It is really about time we did the same thing here. In terms of who I would have....
I would love someone like Ian Cheeseman and Richards/Dickov combination...

I'd be pretty happy with any commentator who wasn't an obvious Rags/Liverpool/Arse/Spuds groupie.
It seems impossible these days to get people in who give a vague impression of being objective.
In particular, we suffer from a great surfeit of Red Scouse cult members.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.