If it DOESN’T go ahead

As much as we would love to believe that (and it may be true and you are probably right) If Chelsea, Tottingham, Arse and us would have gone against it early doors, them other two wouldnt have had a chance to put pen to paper and it would never have got off the ground, so there is no way I am taking the "it wasnt us miss, it was them big naughty boys" position.(that is what their fans would do)
Ive defended our club against all sorts of slime throwing in recent years (I live and work next to Bayern Munichs training ground for god sake), but I cant not defend our actions in this or claim the innocent victim. (the other two are better at that, particularly one of them!)
I think the journey to this point goes back a long way and it involves the demise of Italian football, the debt accrued by R Madrid and Barca and the Yanks looking at the football structure in comparison to NFL / NBA etc. All of them need / want change. All of them want to have a big platform closed shop with a redesign on the distribution of revenue.

We dont need it, we dont have the problems they have, same for, B Munich, Chavs and PSG. But we did not have to go along with it - there is the risk of being left out but this cuts both ways. For it to work it has to be credible. Is it credible without B Munich and PSG? This will not have been easy for us as a club but the end result of where we are right now is a disaster. Was it the best of bad options (I dont know).

That is exactly the issue, we DO need the money. Not at this moment in time but if we don't accept the invitation to the ESL and other clubs in the ESL stay in their domestic league we will be highly disadvantaged, both in income and ability to attract the top players.

My view is both Chelsea and City have had no option but to go along with it. I am sure this is exactly the backlash our owners would have expected.

This is a stitch up to football that left us between a rock and a hard place. We were without doubt in a stronger position without this concept, due to the business model we have.

Lets hope that the decision is overturned and we can get back to what we were planning. I am sure the truth will come out about the ringleaders and coercion that has taken place in time
We don't need this extra money, if the owners are totally greedy bastards then yes we do, but I'd like to think the estimated value of 9bn for the Sheikh should just be enough. I've said it before I honestly couldn't give a fuck if we played our academy lads so long as we stay in the prem only. I thought a lot better of Sheikh Mansour and Co, I thought they got the City fans. Silly me, silly me

I can't see what choice City had. I'm guessing that they were told that their options were something like this...
  1. Sign up NOW to have a say in the future and in that contract is an NDA so there's no room for fan opinions or individual club comments
  2. Sign the NDA only to keep a place for later but that's a secondary position regarding future decisions
  3. Don't sign anything and not be guaranteed to be allowed join later.
To go with anything but Option1 is incredibly risky. I think they had to go along for the ride and hope it fails before it starts....or that it succeeds in the end without it killing too much else.

The pain in the ass imo is that there's no more baseline CL. It's being evolved into God knows what by people who also have no concern for our interests (City club or fans). I'm not sure that it'll end up any less bad than the SL.

I can understand why fans are upset but I think its unfair to blame the club (for picking the least risky option) until more "trustworthy" facts are known.

Last edited:
We don't need this extra money, if the owners are totally greedy bastards then yes we do, but I'd like to think the estimated value of 9bn for the Sheikh should just be enough. I've said it before I honestly couldn't give a fuck if we played our academy lads so long as we stay in the prem only. I thought a lot better of Sheikh Mansour and Co, I thought they got the City fans. Silly me, silly me
It isn’t about the money for our owners,it’s about being at the top table.With this they saw the top table may be moving on and if it moves they want to move with it.
My gut feeling is this will lead to a compromise on European competitions with UEFA along the line. How close that compromise is to this super league and the UEFA version of a restructured c/l remains to be seen, and it does need restructuring the bloated group stages are killing it.
Think that will depend whether UEFA can divide the 12, which it sounds like they are trying to do by talking to us and Chelsea, maybe other waverers too. Hopefully we and Chelsea will withdraw but either way I think eventually we end up with some sort of UEFA /FIFA sanctioned European competition in the end and the issue will be how the domestic competitions react to any watering down of qualification for that competition.

Sometimes people make a decision that ultimately shows their true character. I think this is one of those occasions. We might back out of this competition and apologise profusely, but it wouldn't change my view that our club is run by self-serving, greedy individuals who do not care about us fans, the wider footballing community nor our club's centuries-old history.

Unless there are resignations and a new board brought in, I think I'm done with City.

Sincerely,
A legacy fan.

as many said it looks like its going ahead - basically a bail out for Madrid and barca.

I cant wait to hear from our chairman on it...

The irony of all this is that the way I see it UEFA are the only people that can save us, I don't even think the government can, because I think there is every chance the clubs will move if the government push the issue. The thing with UEFA and FIFA is that they hold player registration so that's their trump card

If we pull out now I except the biggest apology from our Chief exc/owner explaining why they decided to join. Or failing that mass resignations

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.