If Pep at City surpasses his spell at Barca...

We’re fantastic but, like it or not, domestic titles alone don’t propel us into the international elite. When it comes to the latter stages of the CL, we’ve so far been found wanting. Even Spurs sneaked past us. We have the ability but not - so far - the silverware to prove it. Pep needs a CL title or two to close that narrow but vital gap.

To be honest, that Barca team revolutionised club football in a way that I don't think city have because we are playing a more robust and pragmatic version of what Pep did there. Then again, if we win the league for another couple of years and add a couple of CLs then I think people will talk about us playing an improved version of that revolutionary football.

Even of we win CL next season,our achievements will be dwarfed by off field stuff and they wont give us wnouen credit.They still aren't calloca out side as greategr PL side ever which I feel we are easily

Tbf what pep has done here already in the most difficult league is not far off barca,there are not many teams who can win the league in spain and he had messi,here he hasn't got him but has broken every record going

The reality of it is that it will probably take 15-20 years for our accomplishments to be truly appreciated for what they are because of the current media bias against us.

If you take a look at Chelsea for instance, although people still occasionally throw about the sugar daddy tag, it’s nowhere near as bad as it was in the initial years following Abramovich’s takeover. It has changed with time as their following has grown. I think there will come a point when we will be considered one of the so-called “elite” clubs because they won’t be able to belittle our achievements anymore.

I wasn’t around at the time but were the rags considered an “elite” club prior to 1992 with 7 league titles? Or are they supposedly a “big club” now because of their spell under baconface?

The fact is that our fanbase is growing across the country and the world. Just like kids in London and everywhere else grew up supporting the rags because they saw them winning in the 90s, kids will be growing up now supporting City because we are winning and playing well. Take a look at Ashley Barnes’ comments in the lead-up to our game against them about his son being a City fan for example. Once these kids are in their 20s/30s we will see a shift in the perception of City. Chances are that some of our current and future players will go on to work in the media and even up the current pro-dipper/rag bias as well.

I think he might have his sights on a quadruple of prem league titles, surpassing the rags 3 in a row

What are records for? what does Pep live for?.

The answers are desire to get better and to be broken, a target to beat, to attain, a challenge!

Pep is well on his way to beating his own previous standard with Barca. A lot of our standards already meet those Pep had at Barca.

Ask this in 2 years and i think the debate would be a lot more lively. If we get credit or not is another matter entirely but fortunately i concern myself with my own feelings on issues. If i see we are that good, we are damn close already, that will be all i'll need for ultimate satisfaction.

Will we be classed as one of the best teams ever.

Just watching a documentary about his term at Barca and the successful trophy haul. Journalists and footballers of the time literally pulling their puds about his side. We have the potential to be even better but will we only get the credit in say 25 years time?

Let’s have this conversation when we are better.

Reactions: mat
The reality of it is that it will probably take 15-20 years for our accomplishments to be truly appreciated for what they are because of the current media bias against us.

If you take a look at Chelsea for instance, although people still occasionally throw about the sugar daddy tag, it’s nowhere near as bad as it was in the initial years following Abramovich’s takeover. It has changed with time as their following has grown. I think there will come a point when we will be considered one of the so-called “elite” clubs because they won’t be able to belittle our achievements anymore.

I wasn’t around at the time but were the rags considered an “elite” club prior to 1992 with 7 league titles? Or are they supposedly a “big club” now because of their spell under baconface?

The fact is that our fanbase is growing across the country and the world. Just like kids in London and everywhere else grew up supporting the rags because they saw them winning in the 90s, kids will be growing up now supporting City because we are winning and playing well. Take a look at Ashley Barnes’ comments in the lead-up to our game against them about his son being a City fan for example. Once these kids are in their 20s/30s we will see a shift in the perception of City. Chances are that some of our current and future players will go on to work in the media and even up the current pro-dipper/rag bias as well.
Kids won't stick with City if they are constantly told the club are cheats!

It's a battle for hearts and minds these days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.