If you could change one thing

Harvster

If you could change one thing about football, what would it be?

For many years my bug-bear has been the lack of multi-balls in the Premier League

Saturday's league game v Spurs, however, has convinced me that if I had the power to change one thing, it would be to make football a summer sport - sorry cricket, tennis, golf whatever fans

I know it will never happen for a myriad of logistical/historical reasons, but how glorious was it to stroll up to the ground without the need for a coat or even jumper, before watching a fantastic match played out in a packed out stadium before a seething mass of sky and blue? Then leaving the ground in bright sunlight, surrounded by thousands of like-minded happy people (even the Spurs fans were still happy!)

I ran my son's footie team in the Stockport Metro for years, in all sorts of conditions, 90% of which were diabolical - rain, wind, hail, snow, ice, rock hard, dangerous pitches. The very best thing they could ever possibly do with kids football is make that a summer sport. Now that could, and should, happen (And yes I know you're at risk of rock hard pitches in the summer too, but at least it's a warmer kind of rock!)

Best weather for football is cold and wet. I absolutely hated playing on dry rock hard mud in the summer. Plus, without football to get us through the long dark winter, I’d get depression.

The rule change I would go for is to stop the clock for injuries and substitutions and allow the ref to add time on for time wasting. It works well in rugby.

Last man sending off rule. It has encouraged cheating. If the offence is of the last man variety it should result in a penalty. Wherever the offence occurs. And it should only be a yellow card if the offence is deliberate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.