I want to toast his testicles
I want to boil his bollocks
I want to grill his groin
I want to roast his rectum
I want to parboil his penis
I want to steam his scrotum
I want to mash his manhood

Now this is a balanced piece of journo work that sums this little prick up

"The BBC’s veteran radio commentator Alan Green has been at it again, this time insisting on Graham Taylor’s removal as co-commentator for the recent England vs Croatia match. Mark Murphy wonders aloud whether it is time to put Green out to pasture.

BBC Radio Five Live’s Alan Green has been at it again, having a spat with a fellow co-commentator and demanding his removal. While the BBC has been at it again, acceding to Green’s every wish. Why? This piece is unlikely to win any awards for originality. Articles about Alan Green’s favourite football commentator appear tend to turn up with the regularity of London buses. His supporters praise his ‘special’ talents, one of which is his ability to start an argument in an otherwise empty room, another of which is is to have more words written about him than he says himself, some achievement for a man who makes a living talking for chunks of twenty two & a half minutes plus stoppage time in one go, but amongst all the verbiage he inspires, only rarely does the telling phrase appear: “Alan Green is not a very good radio football commentator” .

His latest spat came during the otherwise non-event of a Slovenia friendly. He said something along the lines of participants in the Mexican wave “should be shot” – a bit extreme and, for a national radio commentator, a bit of a stupid thing to say. Colleague Graham Taylor said, in a jocular fashion (and possibly inadvertently echoing the thoughts of a good proportion of his listeners), “You do say some stupid things sometimes, Alan”. It was reported that Green warned Taylor, off-air (something along the lines of “Don’t call me, stupid.”) and, for the altogether more important match against Croatia, listeners ended up with Chris Waddle as the co-commentator.

But why demote Taylor? Why, every time Alan Green says “jump” does the BBC ask “how high”? This is far from the first time Green has been indulged by his nominal bosses. In 2004, Green was censured by the media watchdog Ofcom for a crude racial stereotyping of Manchester United’s Eric Djemba-Djemba which the BBC labelled “irreverent banter” while highlighting Green as a “campaigning anti-racist”. This comment may have surprised those who heard Green utter the immortal words: “Number 17 – that’ll be the Chicken Chow Mein, then” in reference to Chinese defender Sun Jihai” only a few months previously.

It was crude regional stereotyping next up, when he pondered aloud if film star Sylvester Stallone would have bricks instead of wheels on the limousine he had parked outside Goodison Park while he watched Everton play Reading a couple of seasons ago. At a stretch – and we’re possibly being kinder to Green than he deserves here – we could put criticism of these comments down to over-sensitivity or a manifestation of some anti-Green agenda. After all, the bricks instead of wheels gag appeared on “Have I Got News For You” soon afterwards without attracting anything like such opprobrium.

The match between Everton and Reading contained a prime example of Green’s downright unprofessionalism. After a lifeless first quarter to the game, Green took the microphone and said: “Got any paint?” before taking nearly two minutes to set up the obvious “I’d rather watch it dry” gag. In itself, little more than irritating, except that Reading went one-up in the meantime, and we had to rely on the summariser to describe Joleon Lescott’s inadvertent contribution to Reading’s cause. Similar scenarios seem to play out quite a lot when Green is at the microphone. “What happened there?” could easily be his catchphrase – and not in a rhetorical, Fred Trueman “I don’t understand what’s going off out there” sense, which relatively endeared him to cricket followers.

So bad, is Green, the joke goes, that he has to ask Graham Taylor what’s going on, although it is a line that relies on the misleading “Do I not like that” and “can we not knock it?” image of Taylor from his unhappy days as England manager – Taylor is an accomplished pundit who knows exactly what is going on. The same is also said to apply to Jimmy Armfield, who is frequently called upon to explain to the listener what has just passed Green by. Even Mark Lawrenson, otherwise apparently employed solely to laugh at Green’s jokes, has to fill in the blanks from time-to-time.

Green was in full “what happened there?” mode when Manchester United tried a trick corner move against Chelsea at Old Trafford last season. At first, he was joined by most everyone else; not least Chelsea’s back four. But even as he returned to commentary for his second-half stint, he continued to profess ignorance, despite his co-commentator’s patient explanation of this new ‘trick.’ It almost felt as if he’d been so wrapped up in himself that he didn’t care to listen to anyone else.

More serious misdemeanours have also gone unsanctioned. While other journalists covering England’s Wembley encounter with Kazakhstan last year were there to cover Friday’s pre-match preparations, Green was allowed to travel to the game on the Saturday, not feeling the need for such trivialities as research. As a result of being exempt from what was a requirement for other BBC personnel, Green missed the first half, because his plane had been held up in fog, but went unpunished for this apparent unprofessionalism. It is, ultimately, not acceptable for someone that is at the top of their profession (and handsomely rewarded for being so) to be forty-five minutes late for work.

Why, then, does he continue to be indulged? Apparently, it is because he is so controversial and outspoken. A refreshing, unpredictable voice among the bland leading the bland. He is “not afraid to tell it like it is”, and he provokes debate. Much of that was once true, but little of it remains so. Accusing referees of trying to be the centre of attention is less controversial than ironic given much of Green’s schtick, and the same old “isn’t this dreadful?” comments ceased to be “refreshing” and “unpredictable” some years ago. While he may provoke the debate, he ultimately provokes as many people to turn the BBC off as tune in especially, and the “bland” who lead the “bland”, one suspects, wouldn’t be given the leeway that Green frequently seems to be given.

As I said at the start of this piece, there’s nothing original about criticising Green, but that’s no reason to shy away from the task. Alan Green is very well paid to do his job, and in a highly competitive media environment, an environment which is currently subject to stultifying budgetary limitations, the continued employment of someone as self-centred and incompetent as he feels less and less tenable. This needs reiterating in as many different fora as possible, and as often as possible."

Alan Green said:
wouldn't you rather the monopoly was challenged by a club that had history

Unbelievable.

Does our history not count because we have been shit for long periods? Do clubs like Grimsby and Darlington have no history just because they haven't consistently won trophies? I dare you to go and say that to a passionate fan of one of those clubs Mr Green. I suspect you'll find yourself eating through a straw for some time. Stupid fucking prick.

If I had the chance I would do something that would stop him from EVER saying anything like this again about my club......unfortunately I can't type what it would be, as that could be used against me if the time ever arose!

I HATE that guy, some of the bitter things he was saying about us on 606 this week was pure evil. And the way he quotes made up newspaper stories as 'fact' to validate his poisenous opinions whilst live on air is disgusting (i.e. Does ANYONE seriously think that we would off Joe Cole £200,000 per week? We will almost certainly offer him a very large contract, as no signing on fee....but I would doubt it would be quite THAT high, for a player who has had a few injuries in the past couple of seasons).

Also, why always try to villafie Gary Cook? So what if he had a body guard (Doubt he would do in our own stadium!), if he did that is HIS choice?

KentBlue said:
I want to fry his foreskin
I want to toast his testicles
I want to boil his bollocks
I want to grill his groin
I want to roast his rectum
I want to parboil his penis
I want to steam his scrotum
I want to mash his manhood

Are you in catering by any chance?

masterwig said:
Alan Green said:
wouldn't you rather the monopoly was challenged by a club that had history

Unbelievable.

Does our history not count because we have been shit for long periods? Do clubs like Grimsby and Darlington have no history just because they haven't consistently won trophies? I dare you to go and say that to a passionate fan of one of those clubs Mr Green. I suspect you'll find yourself eating through a straw for some time. Stupid fucking prick.

Spot fucking on.

Every club in the world has a history, ours hasn't been laden with the trophies of other teams but it's history you fat prick. We didn't start playing football when a wealthy man decided to buy us. Posters like Dave Ewing's Back Header will testify to that and would shoot him down in an argument in seconds.

The top 4 cartel who used years of CL money to pretty much ruin competition is about to be broke and the BBC and Sky don't like it. Rant over.

Was listening to him on 606 after the rags v Arse game when rooney dived A guy came on to offer that his opinion that rooney went down early and Fat Al went off on a rant telling the guy, before he could fully explain, that he was talking rubbish and that he wasn't having him coming on and saying so, then he cut him off. So i complained to say that whatever the opinion a caller has, as long as it isn't offensive, then they have the right to express it even if it is rubbish and that Fat Al should have let him have his say. I got a brush off mail, saying that it is Fat Al's style and listeners love him for it. That was not good enough so I persisted, the caller had the right and it was the BBC not a commercial station. Eventually I got a mail from the controller of Five Live to say that I was correct and the caller should have been allowed to express his views and that Fat Al had been reminded of the fact. I have listened since and on a number of occasions he has actually made the point to callers that they can express their views.

BTW he is not a Macclesfield fan just lives in the area He won't admit it but it is common knowledge that he favours Liverpool gets angry when callers suggest it.

fbloke said:
I believe this is Alan Green of 606 fame reporting spurious drivel as fact.

Please be warned reading this article may cause food to be spat on you screen.

I struggle with Manchester City. While presenting 6-0-6 on Saturday night I read out the comments of a City fan 'Londis' who'd posted a message on Facebook: "This is the worst day of my life." He/ she was reflecting on the derby defeat by United as well as the Spurs' victory over Chelsea, that radically lessened City's chances of qualifying for the Champions League.
It was a ludicrous exaggeration. Are City fans so caught up in the club's new-found wealth that they've blindly bought into the vision propagated by the likes of Garry Cook?

I saw the Chief Executive walk into Eastlands on Saturday in the company of an obvious bodyguard but still smiling all around him as if he's the centre of attention.

Cook proclaims City's proposed pre-season tour of the United States this summer as reflecting "the support there is for us in America" and how it reaches out to "the existing Blues fans across the world" -- their 'tens' I would suggest. He is preposterous.

I've always really liked City but they're rapidly transforming from being one of the country's best loved clubs into the one that's most hated: worse than Chelsea under Abramovic and that's saying something.

Open your paper, listen to the radio or, if you can stand the constant gossiping, switch on to Sky Sports News: City are 'linked' with every player under the sun.

'X' is your best player: bet City are prepared to pay him oodles more than he's worth, and not necessarily to enhance their team, as much to weaken yours. It borders on the immoral.

Amongst the latest gossip was that concerning Joe Cole.

I can certainly believe that City are prepared to pay him Pounds 200,000 a week but, tell me, in just whose mind is he remotely worth it?

City have already collected an obvious bunch of mercenaries: Toure, Barry, Bellamy, Tevez, and Adebayor amongst them. And they're mostly 'expendable'.

In a quiet moment I ran my eye down the City team during Saturday's derby and wondered who might be first choice next season. I settled on four: Given (if they haven't paid a ludicrous amount to Juventus for Buffon), Bridge, Barry and Tevez.

And who'd be spending this money? Roberto Mancini who (perhaps he appealed as more of a fashion item) quite unnecessarily replaced Mark Hughes? Before the United game he said this was "the most important (run-in) in the club's history": afterwards he said, as rashly as Benitez, "we'll finish fourth."

They may do but after the fantastic week they've had (that's if you only start counting AFTER last Sunday) my money would be on Spurs.

But, if it's City, count on them spending money as if there is no tomorrow, blasting every other club out of the water. And then ask yourself this question: if the top of the Premier League is self- perpetuating, wouldn't you rather the monopoly was challenged by a club that had history and sound management, rather than one built solely on money?

Oh, and Mancini, you'll be out that revolving Eastlands door if you don't finish fourth. Beware the madness that is Manchester City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.