#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imperative he stays fit, he's the catalyst who makes the team gell, never ever thought I'd have typed that.

Feel like since Kev came back he went back into his shell and stopped getting into positions to make a difference, stopped trying to take responsibility. If Kev is out for any amount of time then Gundogan needs to step it up again and take that responsibility again, we don't need him passing it sideways on the halfway line

Feel like since Kev came back he went back into his shell and stopped getting into positions to make a difference, stopped trying to take responsibility. If Kev is out for any amount of time then Gundogan needs to step it up again and take that responsibility again, we don't need him passing it sideways on the halfway line
The reason Gundogan doesn't get in the box as much lately is because he is no longer the "2nd Striker" joining the 1st striker.

We have seen usually some combination of Jesus, KdB or Bernie up top as double false 9s, so there is no space for him.

The Kevin injury will force Pep to go back to Jesus as the striker, supported by Gundogan and Bernie, which then allows Gundogan the space again, I think you were alluding to this.

I have hope on this, we have managed without Kevin before, and I have to hope the team can recreate that for again.

I've always liked Gundo - from the moment we signed him - and inspite of the bullshit sentiment against him.
===
If we are to win the C/L - Gundo will play a key role. I hope- and very much think - that he's going to be up to this challenge.
===
Gundo is a class player, slagged off by many of our fans.

I think that is because of a change of set up. We had Zinchenko LB, Bernardo,Rodri, Gundogan, Cancelo RB/RM, when we played our best football, with Dias & Stones, we were solid, Gundogan could get forward because Cancelo filled in behind and Bernie & Rodri did the running. That's why when Kevin came back he played as a false 9 or roving striker with Phil and usually Riyad or one other. The balance was great. Kevin in midfield moves around so much it is risky for Gundogan to get forward so much as he has more defensive responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.