#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has to be in with a shout for POTY
He's timed it well. This is normally the time of the year when the votes are done for some reason so putting on a strong flurry mid-late season beats out early form. A bit like Salah v De Bruyne back in 17/18, when De Bruyne was insanely good in the first half of the season but Salah's form picked up massively in January.

Although in all honesty I'm not sure he's been the best City player this season. Not that he hasn't been good, but Stones, Dias, and possibly Cancelo have all had extremely strong seasons up to date. Stones has been near flawless.

I wouldn't put up much of an argument if Gundogan did win it though.

He's timed it well. This is normally the time of the year when the votes are done for some reason so putting on a strong flurry mid-late season beats out early form. A bit like Salah v De Bruyne back in 17/18, when De Bruyne was insanely good in the first half of the season but Salah's form picked up massively in January.

Although in all honesty I'm not sure he's been the best City player this season. Not that he hasn't been good, but Stones, Dias, and possibly Cancelo have all had extremely strong seasons up to date. Stones has been near flawless.

I wouldn't put up much of an argument if Gundogan did win it though.

Rodri would be in the conversation for me too, probably ahead of Cancelo but just behind Dias, Stones and Gündy as things stand

I’ve spent 5 years saying gundogan is our best player and best signing. Pep needs a Xavi. Gundo is the top guy, best player we have

I remember a long thread here not too long ago where somebody, in a fit of profound arrogance and ignorance, described him as “Pep’s Blindspot”.

Shortsighted yes,and a thread that looks awful now......but appropriate to his form and contribution at the time.

Gundogan was woefully unfit and looked like he had lost the magic of his Dortmund days,he was a liabilty in many of our games,and yet Pep kept choosing him.

The player we have the pleasure of watching now is genuinely world class,and there isnt enough praise you can throw his way for dragging himself back up to that level,but lets not pretend that was always the case.

As for last night,another incredibly composed and controlled display,a midfield masterclass,his performances very rarely drop below an 8/10 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.