#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
John McGovern. Nottingham Forest.
Played that particular Gundo role.Lifted two European Cups,on the bounce as skipper.
Still.to.this.day.ikid.you.not...some folk still say 'Mcgovern was crap,always side ways ..too slow,.......
Football fans know nothing .basically...
Always thought McGovern was a midfield workhorse , as they were known in those days , didnt strike me as a Gundogan type of player who scores goals and creates chances and goes past opposing players like they are'nt there and making clever forward runs.
But agree McGovern was vital to Clough's great teams and vastly underrated , i just do not remember him as a creative player who made loads of goal scoring opportunites.

Always thought McGovern was a midfield workhorse , as they were known in those days , didnt strike me as a Gundogan type of player who scores goals and creates chances and goes past opposing players like they are'nt there and making clever forward runs.
But agree McGovern was vital to Clough's great teams and vastly underrated , i just do not remember him as a creative player who made loads of goal scoring opportunites.
Just shows how often the underrated provide the ideal platform for the creative to operate at maximum efficiency. Balance in a team is vital for success.

Yeah the confusion is because gundo is capable of playing different roles in midfield.Whilst Mcgovern was not.
But when our player did have to carry out the deep centre midfield role with us he got similar stick to the forest captain...
Your comment about gundo glueing the team together struck a chord,esp in relation to how fans underestimate this vital role in a winning team.

It’s been a pleasure to watch him this season but so so sad that we haven’t been able to watch him in real life.

I’ve still got the Burnley game on my TiVo box so that whenever I’m feeling down I can rewatch his wondrous mid air spinning reverse chest to Jesus and make the world seem a happy place again

How about that finish at Chelsea back in January, unbelievable take, turn and then give the keeper no chance. Felt like the moment it all clicked into place for him this season. A joy to watch when he’s on it.

Yeah the confusion is because gundo is capable of playing different roles in midfield.Whilst Mcgovern was not.
But when our player did have to carry out the deep centre midfield role with us he got similar stick to the forest captain...
Your comment about gundo glueing the team together struck a chord,esp in relation to how fans underestimate this vital role in a winning team.
Spot on , McGovern was exceptional for Clough a definite unsung hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.